Graphics card compatible with FCP7 and CS6?

Posted by shelleyrae 
Graphics card compatible with FCP7 and CS6?
October 25, 2012 10:31AM
Hi,

I'm still working with FCP7. Lately I've been working in HD and even though I have an ATI Radeon HD 3870 card, the performance is very sluggish and I have long render times. It's almost like FC is not even recognizing the card. I have been told recently that the ATI Radeon HD 3870 card is for gaming and not for editing and that I need to get a new card to handle HD editing. I still run OSX 10.6.8

I'm eventually going to be switching to Premiere Pro CS6. I want to make sure that when I replace my graphics card that it will be compatible with both CS6 and FC.

Any helpful suggestions?

Thanks,

Shelley

Shelley
MacBoo Pro 2015
16 GB Ram
OS X 10.13
Premiere Pro CC
Re: Graphics card compatible with FCP7 and CS6?
October 25, 2012 07:29PM
I am not completely current on the state of graphic cards, so I don't have any specific recommendations. Here are a couple of things to keep in mind, however.

Generally no graphics cards will be of much assistance with rendering in FCP7. With the exception of FXPlug plugins, most of Final Cut renders in software on the main processors.

Motion & Color do use the GPU, so a better card WILL help you there.

The Adobe package is also GPU aware, but you need a card that understands something called CUDA to really get the best performance from it.

Finally, be sure the card you pick is MAC compatible. OSX wants specific drivers. You may see the same model advertised for much less for PC's but it will have to be hacked to work on the MAC.
Re: Graphics card compatible with FCP7 and CS6?
October 26, 2012 02:45PM
>The Adobe package is also GPU aware, but you need a card that understands
>something called CUDA to really get the best performance from it.

Yup. CUDA is owned by Nvidia, and Adobe apps are happier on Nvidia cards.

www.strypesinpost.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics