Bizzarro Keyboard

Posted by Ethan 
Bizzarro Keyboard
December 04, 2012 02:03AM
Honestly I don't know when this happened, but my keyboard is fried, or at least half-baked. My space key types a "b" and my -(minus/dash) types a "5". I'd thought I'd gotten some virus or accidentally re-mapped a key.

I've got other keyboards but that one was my original white MacPro Keyboard and now I have a cool KB cover for it when I use Media Composer. I guess it's toast. I pulled the keys off there's nothing alien in there.

Dyybuk maybe?
Re: Bizzarro Keyboard
December 04, 2012 02:20AM
It is toast. Kind of like when you spill coffee on it
Not much you can do

Michael Horton
-------------------
December 04, 2012 12:37PM
i once went to a certified Apple store after accidentally spilling some coke over my keyboard, it was suggested that i hold it by the usb ports and dunk it in warm water, then place upside down to dry. this in theory would have dissolved the sugar/stickiness.

true story.
December 04, 2012 05:57PM
did it work?
December 04, 2012 07:22PM
I spilled water on my keyboard and nothing worked. However, I did hear of an urban legend where a guy spilled coke on his keyboard and took it to an ant hill and the ants did their thing. He then shook out the remains and all was back to normal. course these were Aussie Ants. drinking smiley

Michael Horton
-------------------
December 04, 2012 10:24PM
After my white keyboard went insane a year ago for no earthly reason so did I, I actually smashed it to bits. Bad timing for a keyboard to go bad-- in the middle of an intense job. Then I went to the Apple Store and complained.

"Do you have the keyboard? You're on AppleCare? We can swap it out."

Lesson learned. Anger management. That was 50.00 I could have saved-- although it felt good to smash something to bits. And I learned how they're made, they're very clever with materials and space.

- Loren

Today's FCP 7 keytip:
Advance to next/previous keyframes in a clip with Shift/Option-K !

Your Final Cut Studio KeyGuide™ Power Pack
with FCP7 KeyGuide --
now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
December 07, 2012 06:12AM
no. surprisingly. i was just aghast that an Apple store would suggest such a thing. i bought a remplacement soon after. in theory it could have worked, apparently. although in response i kidnapped a tiger from a near-by traveling circus, rocked up in a flat-back van, reversed into their lobby hallway and opened the doors.

the tiger ravaged the entire store killed 6 employees and then ran a mock all over town.

true story.
December 07, 2012 12:00PM
Google "keyboard dishwasher" and you'll get hundreds of hits. Dunking your keyboard in water is hardly a radical idea. If you've got a non-functioning keyboard, what do you have to lose by trying it?
December 07, 2012 04:47PM
Oh that was YOUR tiger. Now I understand.
December 10, 2012 05:45AM
well i'd never heard of it. suffice to say i thought at the time they were taking the piss somewhat. hence the tiger.
December 10, 2012 09:44PM
[and then ran a mock all over town. ]

A mock? A mock tiger? I've heard of mock turtles. But they're slow, they use a mouse.

Happy Chanukkah, everybody!

- Loren

Today's FCP 7 keytip:
Advance to next/previous keyframes in a clip with Shift/Option-K !

Your Final Cut Studio KeyGuide™ Power Pack
with FCP7 KeyGuide --
now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
December 11, 2012 09:46PM
I use Macally keyboards and I have spilled many a Rum and Coke on my keyboard and they started acting "Funkey" Pun intended.
I washed them in "Distilled Water" made sure they dried completely and then plugged them back in and they still work today.

------------------------
Dean

"When I see you floating down the gutter I'll give you a bottle of wine."
Captain Beefheart, Trout Mask Replica.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics