Opinions on this OS, please

Posted by magic 
Opinions on this OS, please
December 26, 2012 08:54PM
I have been editing on a G5, that's 9 years old - no intel. and FCP 5 - That right 5. My system is old and so am I.

So. I finally got some money together. Should I get this or something else? I'm have firewire in all my drives.

[www.macmall.com]

Thank you all very much.
Magic

P.S. Also, can I take the files and use them on both computers? Don't yell... maybe I want to burn the master on the G5,
Re: Opinions on this OS, please
December 26, 2012 09:02PM
It's going to be very tricky at this point, since you can't buy FCP7 through official channels anymore. If you had FCP7 on a compatible Mac, you can take an FCP5 project file and update it to FCP7 simply by opening it. But it's an extremely bad idea to try to bounce back and forth between old and new versions. Just choose one and stick with it. If you somehow needed to do something on the G5, use movie files and make it a one-way trip only. For example, burning a DVD does not require that you mess with the FCP projects. Just create the movie file on FCP7, convert to MPEG-2 and AC3 audio, and take the MPEG-2 and AC3 to the G5.

www.derekmok.com
December 26, 2012 10:36PM
I don't have 7. I have 5.

I need to know if the computer I'm looking at will do the job, specifically the graphics card and if 2.4 GHz is enough.
Thanks
December 27, 2012 04:22AM
So you want to install FCP 5 on the new computer, is that right?

December 27, 2012 05:37AM
Yes. I want to know if the computer will run 5 smoothly, with the components it has built-in.
Thanks.
December 27, 2012 07:06AM
From memory you had to do a hack to get FCP5 to run on an Intel Mac - especially if you didn't do the crossgrade. In any case, you're definitely in the 'not supported' district with that combination. You may be able to get it to work by hacking the code a little bit, but there's no guarantee that it will be stable.

If you have to move up, then you've got little to lose by trying the install to see what happens. If it doesn't work then you need to move on software-wise as well. Since FCP7 is End of Line, your choices are FCPX, Premiere CS6, Avid, Vegas, Smoke and a couple of lesser known competitors.

Oh and that computer is fine. It would eat your G5 for breakfast and have room for a mid morning snack.

December 27, 2012 09:50AM
FCP 5 on a MacTel, no go. Doesn't run, because it is coded for powerpc chips. FCP 5.1 was the version that was universal binary, so you can get that to run on a MacTel with some hacks. From memory, it was either the registration portion of the software or the installer was powerpc, so that portion of the software ran under Rosetta.

>your choices are FCPX, Premiere CS6, Avid, Vegas, Smoke and a couple of lesser known competitors.

You may be able to get a copy of FCP7 off eBay if you trust the seller enough, but what's the point? For the Mac, PPro is looking to be a pretty natural successor to the FCP suite. And Adobe has the Creative Cloud, which is subscription based, so it's kind of a pay as you use, if you don't use it much. And ProRes costs $50 bucks with purchase of Compressor or Motion.

>Also, can I take the files and use them on both computers?

I won't advise it. As Derek mentioned, if you get FCP7, you will be shuttling between different FCP versions. That will get messy. Also, on FCP7, you may be working on ProRes, and that has little support on the G5. The Macbook Pro is pretty fast. I use that. Definitely faster than the G5s. Much faster.

www.strypesinpost.com
bj
December 27, 2012 12:27PM
I am running a early 2011 MBP 17" with 512GB SSD, 8GB ram, also FCP 7.
This works very well.
You will have to upgrade to FCP 7 Studio 3 suite.
Use this website to see what computer should be sold for:
[www.mac2sell.net]

<Your Computer is a
MacBook Pro unibody 17 inch Intel Quad Core i7 2.40 GHz 4096 / 750 GB / superdrive
The Mac2Sell Quoted Value is :
1,830 $>
December 27, 2012 06:50PM
Thanks all
Now I'm racking my brain to figure out if i should upgrade to 7 or get a different brand of software.

I'll probably come to the January meeting and get opinions.

Magic
December 27, 2012 07:14PM
The longer you wait, the less likely you'll be able to find a copy of FCP7. If you think you might still want to use it, get it now. (In fact, the time to buy it should have been over a year ago when FCP7's discontinuation was first announced) Investing in FCP7 now, just know that it will be a bad investment, because you can't upgrade it, and Apple's hardware will stop being able to run it, sooner or later, since Apple is trying to force us to go to FCPX.

www.derekmok.com
December 27, 2012 11:43PM
[And Adobe has the Creative Cloud, which is subscription based,]

I'm hearing some unpleasantries about the Creative Cloud subscription model-- people are being constantly pestered for their serial numbers or they have to re=register or some such nitwit crap...

I'd like to hear more about actual cloud experience for Ppro and Muse.

- Loren

Today's FCP 7 keytip:
Advance to next/previous keyframes in a clip with Shift/Option-K !

Your Final Cut Studio KeyGuide™ Power Pack
with FCP7 KeyGuide --
now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
December 30, 2012 01:34AM
You can get FCP X for free as a 30 Day Demo, the same with Media Composer, and I don't know if the cloud has an intro month too.

But seeing as your using FCP5, I'm guessing your a basics kind of guy. And premiere has FCP shortcuts built in. Making it more FCP then FCP X, in some ways. So that really may be the way to go.
December 31, 2012 08:34AM
im a creative cloud subscriber for the last 3 months and the only problem i had was because i had two adobe sign ins and had used the wrong one.
a 20 minute phone call resolved that and everything has been transparent and problem free with two machines ever since.

i did the math and the subscription fee was about $100 a year more than my usual "every two years or so" upgrade practice. and this way i always have the newest version.
December 31, 2012 10:30AM
magic
I'm racking my brain to figure out if i should upgrade to 7 or get a different brand of software.

If you'll get a different brand of software then you might want a different brand of computer too.

Dennis Couzin
Berlin, Germany
January 01, 2013 09:37AM
For now, there are advantages to using a Mac, and one of them being ProRes. Macs also have pretty good workmanship.

There is a 30 day trial of the Creative Cloud.

www.strypesinpost.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics