Lacie(s) stopped working

Posted by magic 
Lacie(s) stopped working
January 07, 2013 08:49PM
I have 2 daisy-chained 6 year old lacies for my FCP 6.0.1. They were working just fine until a power outage yesterday. No problems.

I clicked - Apple - "About this MAC - Firewire - Firewire Device Tree reads "FireWire bus" Unknown Device

Should I reinstall the disk that came with the Lacies originally (even though I never needed to install anything original

I have tried both Lacies in other computers and I've switched the power supply and other wires too

- - - - - - - - - -
Additionally I also did this:

1. Shut-down your Mac, and unplug the power cord
2. Turn the power off on your external FireWire devices
3. Unplug the FireWire devices from the Mac
4. Wait for 5 min.
5. Plug the power cord to your Mac only
6. Restart the Mac while holding the Option-Apple-O-F, and keep holding until you get the ">" prompt, then release the keys
7. At the ">" prompt type:
reset-nvram and hit the Return key
set-defaults and hit the Return key
reset-all and hit the Return key
the last command will restart your mac
8. Shut down your Mac
9. Connect all your FireWire devices to the Mac and turn them on
10. Restart your Mac.
-- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I have the original Lacie set-up disk BUT I never used it. Those hard drives were plug and play (as i remember
HOWEVER
The choices ion that disk are
Storage manuals
Silverlining ( never used it)
Backup software (never used it)

So I'm eLstucko.

Magic
Re: Lacie(s) stopped working
January 07, 2013 09:18PM
> Should I reinstall the disk that came with the Lacies originally

Those are useless to Mac users. Macs do not need that software to communicate with external drives.

When drives are suddenly cut off from a Mac, the most vulnerable part is the directory. Run DiskWarrior. Also, know that no matter how healthy the drive or how well maintained, all drives die eventually. Using six-year-old drives, and Lacies to boot (their reputation is less than stellar), and without backups, you're running a major risk.

www.derekmok.com
January 09, 2013 10:44AM
A power outage and a possible power surge when it came back on is enough to cause major havoc. I'm guessing, you didn't unplug everything before the power came back on? I'm guessing again, you don't have surge protection or voltage regulators?

If the drives are dead (do they try to spin up or just do nothing?), the most likely culprits are:

1. damaged power brick. Replace.

2. damaged cables. Replace.

3. fried power or data ports. A Top notch repair guy might be able to help.

Otherwise, 6 year old drives? LaCie's or not, that is simply pushing it too far. If you do get lucky and get the drive (s) back online (which does sometimes happen), get the data off to a new drive immediately and toss the old.
January 09, 2013 10:57AM
I've retrieved data from a bunch of desktop and rugged drives recently, all with borked bus connectors (hey producers, don't throw them in your backpack with the cable still in the socket).
I tear them apart and shove the bare SATA drive into what is commonly referred to as a toaster or SATA dock. Retrieve the data to a working drive and repurpose SATA drive for new non-mission critical tasks.

I now have a couple of 500GB SATA drives that I have made use of as SneakerNet shuttles for larger files.

Be shocked and amazed by how little "ruggedness" there is in a rugged drive. That orange bumper is really all of it.

ak
Sleeplings, AWAKE!
January 09, 2013 11:17AM
That orange bumper is really all of it.

But on those times you throw the drive at the wall, those orange bumpers come in handy.

Michael Horton
-------------------
January 09, 2013 11:44AM
> Be shocked and amazed by how little "ruggedness" there is in a rugged drive.

I've had one die, but that's it. Like Andrew said, when the newbies mistreat their equipment, it really doesn't give a clear picture on exactly how well these things function. I have two or three Rugged drives, all at least four years old, that still work just fine.

www.derekmok.com
January 11, 2013 11:49PM
It's so important to power any external media drives from an UPS-- uninterruptible power source-- essentially a brick battery powering some outlets in a case also outfitted with surge-protected outlets. The computer, the drives and one monitor should be on battery-backed outlets. This is your best insurance against everything from brownouts to lightning strikes. Other accessories on the surge-protected outlets.

Be sure to get a model with AVR-- automatic voltage regulation-- it adds to the cost but the circuit filters energy to your system regardless of how noisy it is at the wall outlet.

I always had a hard time understanding why editors complained of LaCie and other drives failing so often until I stepped into an Avid room with no UPS whatsoever-- producers kept complaining the SCSI drive arrays were failing regularly. Once they installed a big brick, that problem was nailed. Same today.

This is an average US$100.00 investment for greater peace of mind.

- Loren

Today's FCP 7 keytip:
To reposition a Marker hold down Command and drag !

Your Final Cut Studio KeyGuide™ Power Pack
with FCP7 KeyGuide --
now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics