Basic Workflow - 2 questions

Posted by rickman 
Basic Workflow - 2 questions
January 17, 2013 03:18PM
Afternoon all,

So I have cut a 110 min feature (without credits) with about 20 bite sized sequence timelines.
What is the best way to combine them for the final cut?
Do i just make a nest of each one and put them all on one line?
This is to be the final proof for the director to gaze at.
Can someone suggest the best "export" type for burning to a dvd?

Quiz 2: Another project, 15-20 min, I have been given footage shot in both 4:3 and 16:9. Don't know why but nevertheless ...
Do I set the preferences to one format (most in 4:3) and FC makes the other footage comply?? Or do I paste them together and decide the size when I export?

Side bar here - the director didn't say 'cut' very often, so as the tape is running I can hear many of his directions and comments.
One of his favorite expressions is - "we'll fix it in post". I wonder if he has ever edited his own stuff

I have been searching for tutorials on this but not found one yet. If you know one, please point me to it.

Thanks,
Rick

I am using FCP6
Re: Basic Workflow - 2 questions
January 17, 2013 08:09PM
>What is the best way to combine them for the final cut?

Make sure the in/out points on each sequence are marked or that nothing else is on the sequence. Some editors like to leave junk at the end of the sequences. Then make sure the sequences are numbered in order. Then:

1) Create a new timeline with the appropriate setting.

2) Select all the sequences you want to combine

3) Drag them into your timeline. As you are dragging, hold Cmd, and then you can release the mouse. This will "un-nest" all the sequences.

>Do I set the preferences to one format (most in 4:3) and FC makes the other footage comply??

What is your final delivery? 4:3? It does make sense to set your sequence to 4:3, as most of your footage is 4:3.

>Side bar here - the director didn't say 'cut' very often, so as the tape is running I can hear many of his directions and
>comments. One of his favorite expressions is - "we'll fix it in post". I wonder if he has ever edited his own stuff

Me too.

www.strypesinpost.com
January 18, 2013 01:02PM
rickman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Afternoon all,
>
> So I have cut a 110 min feature (without credits)
> with about 20 bite sized sequence timelines.
> What is the best way to combine them for the final
> cut?
> Do i just make a nest of each one and put them all
> on one line?
> This is to be the final proof for the director to
> gaze at.
> Can someone suggest the best "export" type for
> burning to a dvd?

Select your new combined sequence, and send to compressor. There is a setting there for DVD best quality 120 mins.

It will take somewhere between 2 or 20 hours depending on your system and original footage. If after 4 hours the history in compressor is still counting up time you have probably crashed.

If this is all horribly alien to you, and you just like putting the file in DVD studio. Then just use export from the timeline to QuickTime. Uncheck the box for "make file self contained." This might take up to 20 minutes. You'll have about a 1 gig file. You can drop that into DVD studio.

>
> Quiz 2: Another project, 15-20 min, I have been
> given footage shot in both 4:3 and 16:9. Don't
> know why but nevertheless ...
> Do I set the preferences to one format (most in
> 4:3) and FC makes the other footage comply?? Or do
> I paste them together and decide the size when I
> export?
>
> Side bar here - the director didn't say 'cut' very
> often, so as the tape is running I can hear many
> of his directions and comments.
> One of his favorite expressions is - "we'll fix it
> in post". I wonder if he has ever edited his own
> stuff
>
> I have been searching for tutorials on this but
> not found one yet. If you know one, please point
> me to it.
>
> Thanks,
> Rick
>
> I am using FCP6
January 18, 2013 03:45PM
My recommendation is to Export>Quicktime Movie (same as sequence settings), and then encode that in Compressor with a DVD preset.

Directly sending the sequence to Compressor from Final Cut Pro is slow, ties up FCP, and at times, it's problematic. Compressor has better control over the encoding process, including the ability to use superior algorithms for resizing (this is set in the Frame Controls tab).

Once that is done, you can take the m2v and ac3 files to DVD Studio Pro for DVD authoring. Here's how to do this part:

[strypesinpost.com]

www.strypesinpost.com
January 28, 2013 08:58AM
> Side bar here - the director didn't say 'cut' very
> often, so as the tape is running I can hear many
> of his directions and comments.
> One of his favorite expressions is - "we'll fix it
> in post". I wonder if he has ever edited his own
> stuff

On behalf of all editors this guy should be strung up.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics