23.98 in 29.97 needs reverse telecine for editing.

Posted by Ethan 
23.98 in 29.97 needs reverse telecine for editing.
January 29, 2013 05:23PM
Not quite sure why they did this but, I cut the a film at 23.98. And when the blueray was made they they did it at 29.97. So now I'm cutting a trailer, and I want to use the color corrected final mix footage, and the Blueray is the only non-tape, version of this. I copied it off the BR using my Matrox card through the composite in.

I'm not quite sure how I should count the frames to determine the cadence, I don't want to spend a lot of time experimenting with this. I don't want to wait for the entire 90 minute film to get reverse telecined by Cinema Tools, to learn I botched it, and now the original file is bollixed, and needs to be recaptured.

Can I make a piece of the file as a test? it should be the same right? Should I use Compressor instead of Cinema Tools, or is there a better tool in Adobe or AVID, because I'm knee deep in everything right now. Actually planning on cutting the trailer on FCPX, but if Premiere would handle everything on output should I go that way?
Re: 23.98 in 29.97 needs reverse telecine for editing.
January 29, 2013 06:37PM
Just use QuickTime Player Pro. In-Out, Copy, Paste into a new window and Save As.

www.derekmok.com
January 30, 2013 10:12AM
>I copied it off the BR using my Matrox card through the composite in.

If you can, I'll try to get the BluRay file converted into ProRes via Mpeg Streamclip. Not too sure if Mpeg Streamclip demuxes BluRay, but it would be much much better than composite. Also, if you captured via composite, it would have been 29.97, since composite is an SD format, and also it cannot carry a 24p signal, so the BluRay player may have been adding the pulldown.

You can try Compressor, as it has automatic pulldown removal and auto detects cadence breaks.

www.strypesinpost.com
January 30, 2013 11:10AM
Excuse me I misspoke, I used the component connection. It is an external player, so mpegsave myasstoomanytimesclip, isn't going to work. Gave myself a good scare there, that I hadn't recognized SD.

I used the QuickTime file save. I thought I could just use marks and save as, thanks Derek for pointing out the copy paste step. I had punted with just an export from FCP. Both created manageable test files that when put through film tools looked really bizarre, with constant motion and just a plethora of interlacing blur and artifacting, every cut looks like a dissolve.

FCPX seems to be working with the footage fine and exporting a file that, to my eyes looks right.

I need to check if there are any settings I can change on the BR player, but somehow I doubt it.
January 30, 2013 11:33AM
Ethan: strypes raises the fascinating possibility that your blu-ray is actually 24p. An application like mediainfo can tell you what the blu-ray is.
Nevertheless the unnecessary telecine followed by reverse telecine should be lossless. The 24p result in the FCP7 canvas set at 100% will show no interlace artifacts.
I would also verify that the 100% view shows no line doubling. (Horrible software might do that.) Use a loupe on the screen to find a place where three consecutive lines are all different.
January 30, 2013 06:41PM
Ah well, then you probably did the right thing in capturing it. Not sure if FCP X is properly removing the pulldown. It may simply be de-interlacing the footage.

Lol. I've only managed to use Cinema Tools once, after hours of tweaking around trying to find a setting that works. Use Compressor. Under "video settings", set "frame rate" to custom and type 23.976. Go to the frame controls tab, turn it on, set "deinterlace" to "reverse telecine". Hit submit. Wait.......... Done.

www.strypesinpost.com
January 31, 2013 01:29AM
Its really hard to grok what the BR player is doing. There is a setting for 24p output out of the HDMI, and there are some different resolution flavor settings. 720p and 1080i, I don't know if the i in 1080 for resolution means interlaced (it doesnt in FCP7.)

Matrox Mini interestingly doesn't seem to have a setting for 720p 23.98. it has 720p 29.97 though, does that make sense?

The de-interlacing in compressor works great on the shorty test, and is looking to take less then an hour. The BR isn't labelled at 29.97. Further tinkering shows its definitely the BR player putting out only interlaced over component.
January 31, 2013 11:54AM
Resolution:
I guess the take away is next time, go out and buy an internal BR burner/player.
January 31, 2013 03:18PM
Yeah they're pretty cheap now. And then you can lift the BR H.264 (or MPEG2) at the native frame rate.

As to Cinema Tools reverse telecine -- it has to be a proper 2:3 pulldown added. Sometimes you have to help it to identify the A frame, but usually when it doesn't work, the pulldown captured is somehow funky. I find this sometimes on stock footage that was originated on film, but has been converted multiple times along the way.

- Justin Barham -
January 31, 2013 04:47PM
I've gotten CT to work once on a clip, after spending a couple of hours trying all the buttons and options. I knew where the A frame was, what my pulldown pattern is, and I could park the playhead on the A frame, but the interface and options in CT is unintuitive at best. These days, I use Compressor, and only fall back on CT/AE if Compressor doesn't work. But I don't do pulldown removals that much at all, as I am in a PAL country.

www.strypesinpost.com
February 01, 2013 12:51AM
Definitely not the not the best UI. Works really well with lab generated material though.

I've actually had mixed results with Compressor reversing TK. I'll have to try AE when we have no more CT.

- Justin Barham -
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics