Upping a clips resolution*

Posted by Wanted Man 
Upping a clips resolution*
April 02, 2013 03:47AM
I'm putting together a compilation reel, but some of the material i was only able to access at a smaller resolution - 854 x 480, so the other stuff included in the reel from 1920 x 1080 etc has been scaled down to this sequence size.

Final delivery will be vimeo which automatically displays at a higher size.

My question therefore is how may i up-res the sequence, is it possible? Budget is zero i'm banking on free web-tool and/or perhaps Compressor advice (?)

Cheers,
WM
Re: Upping a clips resolution*
April 02, 2013 09:28AM
1. I have had great results from RGS Instant HD: [www.redgiant.com]

2. I have had great success taking a ProRes 422 QT sequence export and exporting it from QT Pro to 1080 Prores with a minor (visual) hit - looks great.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

April 02, 2013 11:14AM
Hi Joey,

1 - looks good but this is zero budget, so no can do.

2 - what were the dimensions of your sequence prior to you exporting it to 1080 Prores? would it be possible to do the same with my 854 x 480 sequence?

Cheers,
WM
April 02, 2013 11:17AM
1280x720 to 1920x1080. You will have to test.

$99 is out of your budget? You can't put a price on quality...unless quality is not an issue.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

April 02, 2013 02:36PM
try compressor,
in frame controls set scaling to "best"

nick
April 02, 2013 02:53PM
I don't get your initial logic. Why are you downscaling your HD material and then blowing it back up? You should be editing in a 1920x1080 timeline. Use Compressor to convert the 854 x 480 clips to fit. That way you just export straight from the timeline at current size.

www.derekmok.com
April 03, 2013 02:53AM
The thing is derek, the majority of clips in the reel are extracted from smaller sources, so if i edit to the size of the larger clips those will look blown-up and, well, rubbish ..

"Why are you downscaling your HD material and then blowing it back up?"

i'm not, the footage is ripped from dvd which is the only way i could get my hands on that specific material i edited.

"Use Compressor to convert the 854 x 480 clips to fit. That way you just export straight from the timeline at current size." ---- but wouldn't that just degrade the footage? maybe 1080 x 720? to 1920 seems like a big jump

WM
April 03, 2013 07:44AM
> the majority of clips in the reel are extracted from smaller sources, so if i edit to the size of the larger clips those will look
> blown-up and, well, rubbish ..

They're going to anyway. You're blowing them up after the export. To 1920x1080, to 1280x720, whatever.

> so the other stuff included in the reel from 1920 x 1080 etc has been scaled down to this sequence size.
> the footage is ripped from dvd

Well, then, the material isn't 1920x1080 anymore. It's irrelevant what frame size it "used to be". If it ended up on a video DVD, it's 720x480.

www.derekmok.com
April 03, 2013 08:54AM
"If it ended up on a video DVD, it's 720x480."

thats my point, derek. hence my opening question

me
I'm putting together a compilation reel, but some of the material i was only able to access at a smaller resolution - 854 x 480, so the other stuff included in the reel from 1920 x 1080 etc has been scaled down to this sequence size.

Final delivery will be vimeo which automatically displays at a higher size.

My question therefore is how may i up-res the sequence, is it possible? Budget is zero i'm banking on free web-tool and/or perhaps Compressor advice (?)

Cheers,
WM
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics