Log and Transfer

Posted by TroyChristian 
Log and Transfer
May 12, 2013 03:39PM
Hey all -

I shot on P2 cards yesterday and the client is doing the log and transfer using FCP. There is one clip that he can see and hear but can't get it to transfer. I suggested making sure that all of the A Cam folders were open in case it was a spanned file. He said he tried that.

Is there another issue at hand and is there a way to get this footage to transfer?

Thanks!
Re: Log and Transfer
May 15, 2013 10:29AM
FYI - P2Log Pro was the answer. The last spanned clip was corrupt and P2LP allowed me to ingest the second to last incomplete clip where FCP would not nor P2 PCMS nor Premier Pro.

FWIW
May 15, 2013 11:08AM
Interesting. Premiere couldn't take it?

www.strypesinpost.com
May 16, 2013 04:56PM
Dropped it into Premiere as my first option. It saw it and played it perfectly. I tried to export it using "match sewuence settings". It to the 15 minutes to export it (I was giddy that my first attempt at fixing the situation was gonna work) and then suddenly crapped out at the very end with no export. Tried again with the same result.
Opened in P2 Log Pro and ingested - first try ba da bing!
May 17, 2013 09:04AM
Interesting. What happens when you select Quicktime and set it to ProRes? What version of Premiere did you use?

www.strypesinpost.com
May 17, 2013 09:28AM
There's one thing about "match sequence settings". Premiere defaults to an mpeg I frame render codec, so when you render out that clip, as "match sequence settings", I'm not sure what you'll get.

www.strypesinpost.com
May 17, 2013 01:58PM
I didn't try that - I should have. Interesting about Premiere and match settings - I am new to Premiere and don't have my head wrapped around it tightly yet. After the second failed attempt I went to P2 Log pro and was successful so I didn't do any follow up experiments as I had client over shoulder and the media was on his drive. So once out of the hot seat I was out the door!! Stir - ress - full!!
May 17, 2013 01:59PM
Premiere CS6
May 17, 2013 02:01PM
Premiere CS6.

So when you export in Premiere you chose settings each time I would presume?
May 17, 2013 02:32PM
I realized that when you drop a clip into a timeline and you select "change sequence setting" in the clip mismatch dialog, it will set the sequence to render to P2. Yea, Premiere is slightly different in many ways, because unlike FCP, it is not QT based and is format independent so you can probably export as P2 with the entire folder structure and all, although I have not tried that.

>So when you export in Premiere you chose settings each time I would presume?

Depends on what I'm doing. I have custom sequence settings set to ProRes, so I usually use that. If I wanted H.264, I'll either use an H.264 preset or export same as source (ProRes QT) and then encode that in QT7 like I do in FCP.

www.strypesinpost.com
May 18, 2013 11:36AM
Yeah the subtle differences between FCP7 and Premiere are a bit of an adjustment for me - my eyes are so used to "seeing" all of the telltale signs in FCP. I miss things in Premiere as they are called something else or the shortcuts a re different. Oh the learning curve after 13 years of FCP...

I bought 2 AVID licenses and the curve is even steeper for me.

Have you chosen to migrate from FCP 7 to Premiere? Or do you cut on AVID as well??
May 19, 2013 03:33AM
I use both Premiere and Avid, also some FCP7, although it's more Premiere for the work I do at home because usually those guys will want the project in an FCP7 compatible format. Also for these jobs, I may be working off native formats such as AvcHD or GoPro, and most formats these days require a conversion before you can edit them, except in Premiere.

www.strypesinpost.com
December 17, 2013 06:05PM
I had a similar problem with Sony EX clips. I had a corrupted clip which only partially ingested. In log and transfer I highlighted the clip on the left hand panel then played the corrupt clip on the right hand logging panel - marked in point at the next frame after the end of the of the partially ingested clip ie.the point of corruption - and out at the end and then add clip to queue. This works well. Now discard camera card and buy another!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics