matching clips to sequence settings

Posted by Rocker 
matching clips to sequence settings
June 05, 2013 11:43AM
Hi, I've converted some .mts ACVHD files that are 1920X1080 24p pro res HQ 48K audio into FCP7. I set my audio video settings in FCP 7 to that exact spec but I'm having 2 problems.

1. when I go to match sequence settings I can't find that exact spec.

2. when I import the clips into my project and drag them to the timeline I get a green render bar which requires lengthy render time. I assume this is because they don't exactly match my sequence.

3. Upon experimenting with other sequence settings , I also get a red render bar

It's turning this project into a nightmare because I have a about 20 hours of footage (although very little "editing" is required....but I do have to do some color correction)

Any help would be appreciated.

final output will be to quicktime to put on DVD in iDVD

computer mac pro dual tower about 6 years old OS 10.6.8
2 gigs of RAM

FCP 7
Re: matching clips to sequence settings
June 05, 2013 01:10PM
Is it 23.976fps or 24fps? When you insert a new clip into a timeline, by default, you should get an option which will let you conform sequence settings to the clip. That should solve your issue.

www.strypesinpost.com
June 05, 2013 01:49PM
Thanks Strypes, I bet that will work. I'll try it this afternoon. thanks again!!!
June 06, 2013 12:14AM
Just to make it clear, conform sequence to clip only works for the first clip that is inserted into the timeline. Thanks to Dennis for pointing that out.

This options can also be set in general preferences, if I recall correctly.

www.strypesinpost.com
June 06, 2013 07:54AM
Yo Strypes "you should get an option which will let you conform sequence settings to the clip." . . . . "This options can also be set in general preferences"

FCP7 here, in the generals i can't see that option. i'm dropping a 4:3 240 x 180 15fps clip into a sequence but it's not offering me to match sequence settings to the clip, resulting in the footage needing to be rendered, plus black bars either side due to the initial sequence being 16:9 - the timeline i'm dropping it into is 25fps 1440x1080 . .

oddly enough for such a small clip on a much larger sequence, it doesn't look blown-up or pixilated at all, yet checking the sequence it is indeed still 1440x1080 with the clip remaining 240 x 180 15fps . . .

any thoughts?????
WM

EDIT:- . . . ok so i've selected a DV PAL sequence setting to lose the bars, also i'm re-encoding the .mov (downloaded from vimeo) exporting it via Streamclip for quicktime unscaled . . .
June 06, 2013 08:40AM
> FCP7 here, in the generals i can't see that option.

User Preferences - Editing - Auto conform sequence.

www.derekmok.com
June 06, 2013 08:48AM
but it won't auto-match the clip fps, just the size?
June 06, 2013 09:14AM
> but it won't auto-match the clip fps, just the size?

Not true. That function matches all the parameters. However, your real problem is that you're trying to use a clip that's completely unviable. 15fps is not a frame rate available in FCP. You need to use Compressor, MPEG Streamclip or something similar to convert clips with that spec.

www.derekmok.com
June 06, 2013 09:28AM
Thanks
June 08, 2013 09:41PM
Rocker writes-

[when I import the clips into my project and drag them to the timeline I get a green render bar which requires lengthy render time. ]

Oftentimes a heavy load on a less than muscular machine will cause greenline.

Should not actually *require* a render-- green means realtime playback available at reduced resolution. Rendering will sharpen it to expected resolution but for editing convenience the Quicktime engine has dropped it down. This "dynamic playback" can be disabled in the timeline's popup menu. I believe the timeline will then go red, which *really* requires rendering.

That's been my experience with HD on an 8-Core.

- Loren

Today's FCP 7 keytip:
To reposition a Marker press Command and drag it!

Your Final Cut Studio KeyGuide™ Power Pack
with FCP7 KeyGuide --
now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics