Problem installing FCP7 on Mountain Lion

Posted by Scott Taylor 
Re: Problem installing FCP7 on Mountain Lion
July 24, 2013 07:18AM
Francois: Concerning the " WHAT ? ! ", look at https://discussions.apple.com/message/20599207#20599207

Dennis Couzin
Berlin, Germany
July 24, 2013 10:02AM
ok, that Toao guy says

EVERY FILE in Mountain Lion is being converted and prepared for web transfer in the background due to the integration of facebook and twitter in the operating system.
This "feature" is just dandy for iDevices but effectively deClaws, deFangs, and Neuters a desktop workstation such as the Mac Pro by forcing the computer to execute functions that are entirely superfluous with respect to the designed function of a true workstation.
Workstations have no true need for such programs and IS the reason I purchased a NonMobile computer.
The workstation (Mac Pro) is doing computing work that is not required or needed and this slows down and creates potential problems for all program executons.
Snow Leopard does not have this "feature".

this is worth some researches... is this accurate ?

how can we KILL those processes if " all power in the house needed " ?
July 24, 2013 09:01PM
Hi Francois,

My machine is upgraded. I've always wanted to do a fresh install if things start going weird, but thinking of all the stuff I have to re-install... that puts me off a fresh install for a year or so.

>Fcp 7.0.0 (which I always considered as a "Fcp 6.5.0" ) is perfectly compatible with PPC machines.
>Apple just introduced a filter in the installer apparently at the last minute before release.

Yes, I remember this one. FCP7 was quite a big and complex app - most of it in Carbon, some in Cocoa. They didn't bother too much with housekeeping by the time we reached 7.

Scott,

Glad to hear you solved your issue. Like you, I got suspicious once I remembered that FCP6 came with a PPC installer.

www.strypesinpost.com
July 28, 2013 01:38PM
Francois: TOAO's application was Photoshop CS6, for which he expected running under Mountain Lion would be slower than under Snow Leopard. If our application is FCP7, then it behooves us to run some speed tests in FCP7.

I just now tried exporting a sequence of tiffs from a 5000 frame clip in FCP7. For compressed tiffs it took 5.4% longer under OSX 10.8.3 than under OSX 10.6.8. For uncompressed tiffs it took 9.5% longer under OSX 10.8.3 than under OSX 10.6.8. Whether this is consistent with TOAO's web transfer thesis I know not.

My OSX 10.6.8 and OSX 10.8.3 were fresh OSX installs, with the same FCP7 added to each.

An operating system is general; it must run all programs and perform all services for all users. Mac's user base being what it is, what do you expect?

Dennis Couzin
Berlin, Germany

P.S. Another test: FCP7 rendering of Broadcast Safe Filter took 9.3% longer under OSX 10.8.3 than under OSX 10.6.8.
P.P.S. Another test: FCP7 SmoothCam Analysis took 1.1% longer under OSX 10.6.8 than under OSX 10.8.3, a bit of a counterexample.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics