Advice on software to use for turning speech on video into a transcription

Posted by Wanda 
Advice on software to use for turning speech on video into a transcription
August 26, 2013 11:05PM
Hello,

I am wondering what programs people use to convert speech in video into a transcript. I film a lot of lectures and events that go for at least an hour. Was wondering which programs can handle large and long duration files. Am in the process of trying Premier Pro but it stalled for over 12 hours before failing to complete the speech analysis task. I use final cut for everything else.

thank you smiling smiley

Wanda
Re: Advice on software to use for turning speech on video into a transcription
August 26, 2013 11:09PM
Joining this thread in case there is such a beast; I could use this today.
August 27, 2013 06:55AM
Speech analysis is not going to be instant. And what kind of footage and machine are you using? I have used it on a batch of footage with a script. That worked fairly well because I had a script to start from.

There may be a couple of solutions by Nuance, but they will be quite pricey and speech analysis produces rather high error rates.

www.strypesinpost.com
August 27, 2013 09:30AM
Here you go, MacSpeech Scribe:

[www.nuance.com]

www.strypesinpost.com
August 28, 2013 01:24AM
Or you could upload it to Youtube in a restricted area and go with the pretty instant translation they provide. It's not deadly accurate, but it hits most of the time, and you can manually adjust anything that's not right. Of course, downloading it is another thing. Not impossible though.

August 31, 2013 04:16AM
I use Voicebase.com. They also have a free machine transcript which isn't great. But the sight also indexes words, and can search for a word or phrase.

So I use it for my documentary work. If they need real transcripts they can pay for them, but this way i have a some sort of tool.
September 02, 2013 12:04AM
Thanks everyone :-)
September 09, 2013 07:58PM
It's the Golden Fleece among documentary tools. I've tried Nuance Scribe (actually pretty cheap, and you get what you pay for) and short of getting Ray Kurzweil to code something for us, there's always sending it to India!

[datalystllc.com]

- Loren

Today's FCP 7 keytip:
To reposition a Marker press Command and drag it!

Your Final Cut Studio KeyGuide™ Power Pack
with FCP7 KeyGuide --
now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
September 12, 2013 08:05PM
There was a guy on the old AVID-L (Hulfish?) who had a method that consisted of training one of the speech recog programs to his voice then he would play the tapes in headphones and repeat aloud everything that was said. It's 1:1 timewise once you get used to it but that might be somewhere on your fast/cheap/good selection matrix.

ak
Sleeplings, AWAKE!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics