Known Working FCP7/OS combinations

Posted by Jude Cotter 
Known Working FCP7/OS combinations
September 09, 2013 09:15PM
FCP7 is no longer supported by Apple and will have no further revisions, but MacOS's will continue to evolve. Therefore, this list is intended as a guide to known working combinations of MacOs's and FCP7/Quicktime. Please add a combination if you personally have run or are running it successfully - or if there are caveats, please add those as well.

Right now I have a working combination on

Intel i5 I Mac
OSX 10.7.5
FCP 7.0.3
Quicktime Pro 7.6.3

As of the 10th of Sept 2013 I have no updates to apply. There were no issues with installation.

Re: Known Working FCP7/OS combinations
September 09, 2013 09:26PM
Mine works on the Macbook Pro i7 Quad core.

OSX 10.8.4
FCP7.0.3
Quicktime 7.6.6

Side note. I did run in a slight issue with a corrupt QMaster related file which caused Compressor 3.5 not to launch any windows, and since I also have Compressor 4, and I don't send stuff directly from FCP7 to Compressor, I didn't bother re-installing Compressor 3.5. I'm pretty sure it's not related to the OS, though.

www.strypesinpost.com
October 05, 2013 04:54PM
Intel Xeon 2.26 Ghz 8-core MacPro, 24 GB RAM
OSX 10.5.8
OSX 10.7.4
FCS3 - FCP 7.0.3 on both.
Quicktime Pro 7.6.6 on both-- refuse to use "QuickTime X" till it grows up.

Suite functions quite well using all components of Studio 3 under either OS.
Perceive a snappier response under 10.7.4.

Under OSX 10.7.4 I use BMD's Intensity Pro PCIe card to run signal to a 40" flat for client review. Under 10.5.8 BMD asks for a firmware upgrade to the card, which I won't do as it'll scotch performance under 10.7.4. So lately I've been working under 10.7.4.

I use this dual boot method to allow upgrades to one volume while maintaining a known stable recipe. Looks like I might be safe moving up to Mountain Lion on this platform! Any advantage?

Best, as always,
Loren S. Miller
www.neotrondesign.com
Home of KeyGuide Central
October 28, 2013 04:03PM
Mac Pro 8-Core Intel Xeon 3 GHz
32 GB RAM
GTX580 3GB (PC version)
32TB SAS RAID 6
Blackmagic Multibridge Pro
FCP7.03
FCPX
Adobe CC
QuicktimePro 7.6.6

Currently running Mavericks 10.9 (Stable), Previously Mountain Lion (Stable), Lion (buggy), Snow Leopard (Stable), etc...

Works fine on FCP7.03 and other Final Cut Studio 3 apps - also works with FCPX and Adobe CC.

I have a working backup system HDD on Mountain Lion in case Mavericks shows up any issues but so far so good.

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
October 29, 2013 09:06AM
Well this is a surprise.

As far as I can tell at the moment, Final Cut Pro 7 functions under MAVERICKS.

More as I noodle through a real world project.

- Loren
November 12, 2013 07:56PM
My tests showed FCP7 to run slower under 10.8.3 than under 10.6.8:
[www.lafcpug.org]
I think it's nuts to run FCP7 in any OSX later than 10.6.8 unless software that you run together with FCP7 requires a later OSX.
For me, the beauty of the Mac system is its ease in making and using multiple bootable volumes. You can have later OSX volumes for applications needing them and a 10.6.8 volume for FCP7 which prefers it.

Dennis Couzin
Berlin, Germany
January 10, 2014 04:12PM
A sad day for us FCP users... Now I do have to learn Premier to continue working in an Avid free environment.

Apple shurly knows how to destroy the best things in a tech driven field. Whats next? Apple mergin with HP? Or Acer????

Please.

RJ
January 23, 2014 06:33AM
One of my workplaces has just set up a 2013 iMac with Maverick and so far it's running fine with ProRes HQ footage. Not really any discernible differences from the older MacPro running Lion.

January 23, 2014 10:08AM
Jude
That's interesting to hear. I have a site consultation where this issue is going to come up.
Are they just running FCP7 or also running FCP X?
Is there anything else on that system like Adobe CS or Avid?
The MXF plugins like MXF4Mac and Calibrated{Q} are causing some grief.

ak
Sleeplings, AWAKE!
January 23, 2014 06:28PM
Just FCP7, but Premiere and AE are installed. I just started cutting something shot on the Blackmagic camera that shoots ProRes, and have converted a bunch of Canon H.264s for use in the same project, all running off an external Thunderbolt drive. So far no real issues, but I'm only on the first cuts, so no fx. I can test something specific for you next week when I'm there again if you like?

June 24, 2014 03:03AM
I just installed FCP 6.0.6 on a MacBook Pro (MBP6,2 - Mid 2010), running OSX Mavericks 10.9. I migrated the App from a 10.6.8 partition on the same machine. and will keep that until I'm confident it doesn't crash (too much). But it opens and runs fine.

Stefan

--
macpro 2x3 ghz dual core intel, 10.6.8, FCS 2
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics