Importing from AVCHD to FCP 6.06

Posted by wbt-ny 
Importing from AVCHD to FCP 6.06
September 16, 2013 10:26PM
I have a Sony Nexcam 50UH and the footage is recorded Hi-Def, AVCHD. It plays well when dumped over to my Mac and played with Quicktime Player. But when I convert it to Pro-Res or FCP For Editing in "Wondershare", the audio is many seconds behind the video. I'm running a a 3 ghz 8 core, 2 processor Mac Pro with 9 gig of RAM. I'm wondering if that has anything to do with it (and I hope not). If so, what can I convert the AVCHD to that will track on FCP 6.06??

Need help with this one. Thanks.

Bill
Re: Importing from AVCHD to FCP 6.06
September 16, 2013 10:55PM
What kind of storage drive are you using?

www.derekmok.com
September 17, 2013 04:41AM
You should use log and transfer. Urghs. Wundershare... Sorry. I have this thing about spam ware.

www.strypesinpost.com
September 17, 2013 08:56PM
Storage drive is onboard 1-terabyte drive. Wondershare is supposed to be a useable codec converter, and at $70.00 roughly, very expensive spam if it's spamware (and I hope it isn't). I haven't had any trouble with it until I got to this one. Part of the reason for this model camera, aside from the obvious price-point, is the ability to unclip the SSD from the side and plug straight into the Mac. ...Which then doesn't recognize Sony's AVCHD. I was hoping that I could avoid the time consuming log and capture as with my tape cam' by dumping clips into a folder for later parsing. The clips converted to Pro-Res in Wondershare play in Quicktime Player just fine, but when imported into FCP 6.06 the audio is nearly a minute behind the video and merely gets clipped off at the end of the video clip. I've never seen this sort of thing before. If you or anyone has any suggestions, I'm grateful.

I'm a punter and I admit I don't use all the facility available to me in FCP 6.06, so it makes no sense for me to do anything radical like switch to Avid. Besides, I'm convinced I'm missing something and hoping you all can set me straight. Thank You in advance.
September 17, 2013 09:01PM
> when imported into FCP 6.06 the audio is nearly a minute behind the video and merely gets clipped off at the end of the video clip.

That's what happens when you have bad timecode, improperly converted files, corruptions etc.

If I were you, I'd start from scratch and ditch "Wondershare".

[stream-recorder.com];

For less than $70 you could have gotten Divergent Media's ClipWrap or Shedworx' Voltaic HD ($50 each), two tools that are proven to work on AVCHD. ClipWrap is the better of the two -- much faster.

www.derekmok.com
September 18, 2013 10:03PM
Thanks Derek. Clipwrap I'll aim for. That $70.00 got me a lot of useable app's within Wondershare. However, at this point I'm willing to pay (annoyed about it but willing) to pay for an additional app' that can do the one necessary job that is missing.
September 20, 2013 12:27AM
You should just ditch FCP, and use Adobe premiere. It will probably work with your drive natively. No import no conversion, you can set it up to use all the FCP commands. You can use Adobe Premeire Demo for a month for free and see if you like it.
September 21, 2013 12:38AM
Yea. Best of all, no jumping around trying to find a way to being the footage into the NLE. Import by the built in Media Browser or drag and drop and start editing.

www.strypesinpost.com
September 22, 2013 07:53PM
derekmok
Divergent Media's ClipWrap or Shedworx' Voltaic HD... ClipWrap is the better of the two -- much faster.
ClipWrap is faster, but Voltaic HD is more capable with destination codecs.

ClipWrap provides a short list of codecs to which it will transcode. ProRes 4444 is missing from the list. 8-bit and 10-bit uncompressed are missing. "None" is missing. Etc. Etc. This has been discussed here before. It's still so with the latest ClipWrap release ver. 2.6.4. I suspect there's no scientific reason for the codec omissions.

Divergent Media

No Confusing Settings

ClipWrap knows what format your footage was shot in, so you don't have to wade through confusing settings. Whether you're rewrapping or transcoding to one of ClipWrap's many professional editing formats, there's nothing for you to set. ClipWrap will make sure your new files looks as close to the original as possible in your new format.
Since ClipWrap can't know what application you'll edit in it provides a "Optimize for" box where you tell it. Can we trust this? Divergent Media is competent, but such patronization plus hocus-pocus is not good for the field. We're better off with more settings, provided they are clear.

I use ClipWrap much more often than slower Voltaic HD, but there are times when only Voltaic HD can transcode to what is desired.

Dennis Couzin
Berlin, Germany
October 01, 2013 05:41PM
I use Clipwrap but as Dennis says, it's a short list of codecs. I would check out Voltaic, or, if you trust the Cloud, move to Premiere Pro.
I may break and get into it at the single-app price. Grumble grumble gnash teeth

- Loren

Today's FCP keytip:
Set a motion effect keyframe instantly with Control-K!

Your Final Cut Studio KeyGuide™ Power Pack.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
October 15, 2013 12:12PM
ClipWrap deserves praise too. Today it flawlessly joined 14 spanned .mst files shot with a Canon C100 onto a SDHC card. Voltaic HD couldn't do this. Divergent Media works hard to understand the quirks of cameras, so ClipWrap doesn't get stuck. Also ClipWrap makes efficient use of (at least) 6 cores.

Incidentally, does anyone know why the Canon C100 limits the FAT32 file size to just 2.05 GB while my Panasonic HC-X909 limits it to 4.28 GB as it should?

Dennis Couzin
Berlin, Germany
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics