CONVERSION FROM MAC TO NTFS

Posted by LoJ 
LoJ
CONVERSION FROM MAC TO NTFS
September 18, 2013 03:40AM
I've shot a 9 week acting course on my Canon 5D MkII.
I'm offering the students the movie clips.
Of course i run Mac and they need the quicktime clips to be windows friendly NTFS.

how do i transfer these clips from my desktop to their laptops?
what is the conversion process? do i have to rename files?

Advise! Thanks!

LoJ.
Re: CONVERSION FROM MAC TO NTFS
September 18, 2013 07:16AM
NTFS is the format of a hard drive drive, not anything to do with the format of your clips. You can reformat an external drive to be ExFAT and that should work on both Mac and PC with larger files, or you could get an app called 'Paragon', which allows your Mac to write to an NTFS drive.

As for the clips, I'm not positive about the III, but aren't they just standard H.264? I think most computers can handle those, but if they need the Quicktime App, it's free from Apple.

September 18, 2013 07:30AM
> Of course i run Mac and they need the quicktime clips to be windows friendly NTFS.

Windows Media Player should handle QuickTime movies just fine.

> how do i transfer these clips from my desktop to their laptops?

All Macs are able to format drives as FAT (either 32 or 64). The only limitation is that files are restricted to either 2GB or 4GB, but if your clips are small enough, this may not even be an issue. So, try a large USB flash stick (16-32GB) or PC-formatted external hard drive first. You may be worrying about a problem that doesn't exist.

www.derekmok.com
October 28, 2013 02:10PM
Yes the Canon MKIII uses H.264 MP4 encoded movies and can use exFat formatted CF Cards (for larger than 4GB files).

Just format an external HDD (or SSD or USB stick) to exFat using Disk Utility on Mac OS or on Windows and transfer your MP4s onto their PCs from that.

Alternatively set up file sharing over a wired or wireless network: [support.apple.com]

FYI exFat could theoretically store a file-size up to 16 ExbiBytes (around 16,777,216 GibiBytes!) so you aren't going to have issues with transferring larger files only the limit of your storage device!

If you have edited them into a Quicktime Format such as ProRes; as long as they are ProRes 422 then they can download the Windows ProRes 422 Decoder for Quicktime here: [support.apple.com]

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics