OSX Mavericks + FCP 7?

Posted by John K 
OSX Mavericks + FCP 7?
October 23, 2013 02:26AM
Did anyone dive in yet? Anxious to know if FCP7 is finally broken by an OS update.

October 23, 2013 11:24AM
Best not to dive in yet anyway.

Premiere Pro CC works with Mavericks but some 3rd party tools don't. Avid MC is not ready for Mavericks. Final Cut 7 does work according to many. So does FCPX.

[avid.force.com]

[helpx.adobe.com]

Edit. Lots of folks now stating issues with FCP 7 and Mavericks. Give it a couple weeks.

Michael Horton
-------------------
Re: OSX Mavericks + FCP 7?
October 23, 2013 11:33AM
Current news is that RG plugins are not compatible with Mavericks.

www.strypesinpost.com
October 23, 2013 10:11PM
AE broke - Adobe released a patch for Mavericks. Avid is NEVER up to speed with the latest OS so that's no surprise. It won't be long now...FCP 7 will just stop working with new OS's. FWIW, I am waiting (like Mr. Horton says...give it a couple 'O weeks).

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

October 29, 2013 09:21AM
As I mentioned in the Jude Cotter RFD post here-

Known Working FCP-OS Combinations

FCP 7 appears to function in 10.9 Mavericks. I am currently testing a typical one hour timeline, will add more when I take it through typical post operations.

First thing I notice when upgrading on a cloned-over test partition-- my QuicKeys broke! Gotta update that, FlipforMac, and SnapzPro.

But FCP playback is smooth.

It may be that, since I cloned over my 10.7.4 partition to a clean partition reserved for update testing, which provides an upgrade basis for 10.9, I also brought over QuickTime 7 Pro and of course, all its components and all the apps I have that worked under 10.7.4, including Adobe CS 5.5 Production Premium elements. It may be the old QT components coexist with new AV components without issue.

More later...

- Loren
October 29, 2013 09:35AM
How is exporting Loren?

All the best,

Tom
October 29, 2013 10:48AM
Hi, Tom -

Export of a 46:00 project timeline appears to be smooth and without artifacts-- I'm testing a long form DV25 project- I will load in an HD project when time permits.

Playback-

In the QT 7.6.6 player (which works!) playback is smooth but I get a thin white right border in fullscreen mode.

In the QT X 10.3 player, however, playback is perfect, no border, and a couple new features have been added- a Clip view which allows you to scroll over a thumbnailed timeline at frame bottom - almost like hoverscrub but you do need to depress the mouse button- and this timeline appears to have trim capabilities!

For viewing, the 10.3 player has a new Fit Screen feature which takes 4:3 material and fits it edge to edge, cropping top and bottom-- a useful preview of how it might look if you upscale for HD deliverables.

The player also has a ridiculous "Panoramic" view mode which stretches the edges of 4:3 material to the edge of the screen, sort of a fun-house mirror way of getting 16:9.

Thus far, FCP 7 editing and rendering functions are nominal, five by five. two by four or whatever they say to mean "it's working."

I'm still waiting for my first crash or green screen or what. More soon.

- lam
October 29, 2013 01:51PM
Thanks Loren.

All the best,

Tom
October 29, 2013 01:54PM
Yes, thanks Loren!

Anyone have a chance to test various plugins?

JVK

October 29, 2013 02:02PM
Watch out for this...
[reviews.cnet.com]

ak
Sleeplings, AWAKE!
October 29, 2013 04:54PM

In the QT 7.6.6 player (which works!) playback is smooth but I get a thin white right border in fullscreen mode.

I'm not seeing this on mine - what CODEC, fps and pixel size are you playing?

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
October 29, 2013 05:13PM
Interesting Andrew... I'll look out for that on Client drives!

But Western Digital and LaCie losing data? Now there's a surprise!

Always my mantra is to stick to HGST (Hitachi) or Samsung for your HDDs even though WD own HGST they haven't screwed up the Hitachi tech yet!

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
October 29, 2013 07:26PM
Tested Plugins with Mavericks on FCP7 that work unless stated otherwise:

1z1
Eureka!
Alex4D
Andy's Filters
AutomaticDuck
CoreMelt
Too Much Too Soon
Joe's Filters
CGM
Digital Heaven Reincarnation 2.0
FurnaceCore (all except F_DeFlicker (4.1))
FxFactory seems to be stable
idustrial revolution (ParticleMetrix)
Nattress (Tested most if not all Filters and FX)
Neat Video - Reduce Noise
ONSIGHT 3D
River Rock Studios Filters (some such as Artiste and Anonymizer are buggy)
Sheffield Softworks Vintage
Tom's Filters - 50 Point Bezier Matte 2 (doesn't seem to work at all)
Trapcode - Starglow & Shine

I don't use new Red Giant filters so can't test them - although the older Red Giant Deinterlacer, InstantHD and ReSizer seem to work.

October 31, 2013 10:41AM
Good call, Andrew!

I never use the drive vendor's stuff-- haven't seen any advantage to using it. I always format through Disc Utility, which gives useful choices in format on any drive.

Ben, Tom, this test is a one hour DV25 sequence. Haven't loaded an HD project yet, but newest footage for this project is 1080i so I'll simulate a sequence export.

Ben, thank you for the plugin list!

I stress that, because Mavericks requires a "base" OS of 10.6.8 or later, and I had none on the empty partition, I used Carbon Copy Cloner and CLONED a fully functioning OS 10.7.4 system to the partition as a base for upgrade, along with backing up all apps on the partition. I was then able to download Mavericks from the app store and install it, and test apps.

NOTE: the install will choke if your partition is not journaled.

As for FCP or other apps, your milage may vary if you directly-install, say, your Snow Leopard or Lion disc to an empty partition, or if you simply upgrade an existing partition, but most folks are cautious and reserve a separate partition or even a separate drive for upgrade testing.

- Loren

Today's FCP keytip:
Set a motion effect keyframe instantly with Control-K!

Your Final Cut Studio KeyGuide™ Power Pack.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
October 31, 2013 10:50AM
Loren Miller Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> but most folks are cautious and reserve a separate partition or even
> a separate drive for upgrade testing.

Or we just wait and let others test it out for us. Says the man still operating a 10.6.8/FCS3 2008 Mac Pro tower.

ak
Sleeplings, AWAKE!
November 08, 2013 01:45PM
Well, I'm now noodling through a 1080i project in Mavericks, playback is good, but some oddities cropping up in FCP7. Numeric keypad control of timecode plus-minus values seems to be disabled, although I've confirmed it's mapped. QuicKeys is currently nonfunctioning so I can't map it that way.

Added note: Mavericks appears to disable the numeric keypad entirely! Can't type numbers into a web form, for instance, in Safari.

Anybody else seeing this?

- lam
November 08, 2013 04:40PM
QuicKeys fix:

For those of us using QuicKeys with FCP7 and other apps, here is the Mavericks fix, and it worked for me.

- lam
November 11, 2013 05:56PM
Agh! For some reason, Mouse Keys was enabled. This Universal Access option takes over the numeric keypad to move the mouse. Turned it off and numeric keypad entry has returned. Yay.

Operating in HD, and Soundtrack Pro 3 is behaving well too. Haven't driven other Studio components yet.

- Loren

Today's FCP keytip:

www.neotrondesign.com
November 12, 2013 09:22AM
Does OSX Mavericks offer any particular benefit from Mountain Lion?
November 13, 2013 07:52PM
It's got a much better calendar and Address Book! Oh, and you've got to try Maps, it's a REAL trip.

Hate the "tags"-- reinvention of Labels for no damn reason.

I play with the Mac stuff when time permits. No earthshaking crashes (that is: no crashes!) yet; it's very responsive playing ProRes HD.

- Loren

Today's FCP keytip:

www.neotrondesign.com
December 01, 2013 04:31PM
Forgive delay; my FCP7 1080i show, a personal project I shot (hah!) and edited for my screenwriting group, exported my rough cut beautifully from Mavericks. It then went to Episode Pro and then up to YouTube:

My BlackMagic Design Intensity Pro PCIe card also worked well playing back timelines to a 40" consumer flat via HDMI, AFTER upgrading the Desktop Video Manager software available now on BMG's website. Before upgrading from V 9.0 (inherited from the clone-over) to 9.9.3, playback was badly out of synch.

- Loren

Today's FCP keytip:
Boost or lower clip audio by 3DB with Control-] or [ !

www.neotrondesign.com
December 16, 2013 04:06PM
Now I want to try the 9.1 update, released today. Anyone on it?

- Loren

Today's FCP keytip:
Boost or lower clip audio by 3DB with Control-] or [ !

www.neotrondesign.com
January 09, 2014 07:38PM
A MacBook Pro bought new today will come with Mavericks. Does anyone know if QT7.6.6 and then FCS3 can be freshly installed on a Mavericks system?

Can Mountain Lion (or any earlier OS) be installed on a MacBook Pro that shipped with Mavericks? This would seem to depend on the firmware.

Dennis Couzin
Berlin, Germany
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics