Is it possible to gang multiple finder windows together?

Posted by Joe Riggs 
Is it possible to gang multiple finder windows together?
October 29, 2013 03:16AM
I’ve seen this done before, and it definitely comes in handy for comparing files on multiple drives but I can’t figure out how to do it, is it a app (I know there's one that allows tabs in the finder), searching google hasn’t yielding any results for me.

Thanks
Re: Is it possible to gang multiple finder windows together?
October 29, 2013 05:22PM
You are looking for file comparison or "difference" apps there are a few that come to mind:

[sourcegear.com]

[www.kaleidoscopeapp.com]

[bitbq.com]

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
October 29, 2013 08:25PM
you used any, Ben?

if i may be allowed to piggyback on this, i'd love to find a good app for syncing drives.

nick
October 30, 2013 04:20AM
Hey Ben,

Thanks, but with those it looks like you have to use that program and compare within that program's interface.

What I remember seeing was not a 3rd party interface but three OS-X finder windows ganged together,
so if you moved, opened, or closed one, they all do the same thing.
October 30, 2013 12:18PM
Nick Meyers Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> if i may be allowed to piggyback on this, i'd love
> to find a good app for syncing drives.

The nerdy way is to use rsync in the command line.

The slightly less nerdy way is to use a GUI on rsync like the app "arRsync"

The even less nerdy way is Carbon Copy Cloner (highly recommended and I think worth the $45) or Superduper (good but I haven't used it in a while)
CCC is great for cloning system drives or making straight copies and keeping backups in sync.

ak
Sleeplings, AWAKE!
October 30, 2013 04:23PM
thanks, Andrew.
i'd been thning about those, but was interested in Ben's [bitbq.com] recommendation.

in the past i've used the ultimately un-nerdy was of just looking and figuring it out.

Joe, are you wanting to sync, or is there another reason to want to gang the windows?

nick
October 30, 2013 07:34PM
Ultimately it would be to sync and compare drives. I just like the finder window interface.
November 01, 2013 05:46AM

What I remember seeing was not a 3rd party interface but three OS-X finder windows ganged together,
so if you moved, opened, or closed one, they all do the same thing.

I've not seen this but those apps do comparison and allow you to sync and compare - I've not used it but kaleidoscope has a lot going for it and doesn't look too far from the Mac OS finder.

As Andrew said Carbon Copy Cloner is great for syncing and backing up. I use it regularly.

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
November 09, 2013 02:09AM
Joe Riggs
Ultimately it would be to sync and compare drives. I just like the finder window interface.

If you like the finder window there are 3 apps that come to mind for paired windows.

Pathfinder - $40USD
which is a stand alone replacement for finder but give much more info on a file. (dont think the search is as user friendly as finder)

TotalFinder - $20USD
which works within the finder framework and lets you use cmd-U to have 2 connected tabs (only 2) This is Great for moving things around and comparing folders.

XtraFinder
- FREE
Same as TotalFinder

On a simular note:
I have been looking for a application that will tell me what programs are referencing / using certain files. I sometimes dump and realize that 2 projects or programs were using that 1 file. I wish i could know that as i do periodic disk clean ups.

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

> > > Knowledge + Action = Wisdom - J. Corbett 1992
""""
November 17, 2013 07:56AM
saw an app called Moom you may like:
[manytricks.com]
it's for working with finder windows, not sure it links them.

nick
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics