Macbook Pro + Thunderbolt Display + HDMI TV monitor - is this configuration possible?

Posted by Jonnyukbravo 
Hi all,
Apologies if this is a repeat or stupid question but I'm only an occasional visitor.

I have a MBP and a Thunderbolt display. I would like to monitor my video output on an HD TV as well.

Is it possible to arrange the MBP into TB display then TB display to HDMI TV via the TB out port on the Display using an adaptor?

Is it then possible to get the video out playing on the TV?

FCP 7.0.3
MBP 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7
8GB 1600 MHz DDR3
1TB
OSX 10.9
27" Thunderbolt Display

John Fairhall
johnfairhall@hotmail.com
shoot-edit.co.uk
Re: Macbook Pro + Thunderbolt Display + HDMI TV monitor - is this configuration possible?
December 17, 2013 05:57PM
You'll need an IO device with TB loop through. Meaning that you go from computer to IO device via TB, then TB out from that to your TB computer display. Then the IO device...HDMI to your HDTV. The only Thunderbolt IO that has loop through is the AJA IoXT. $995

[www.aja.com]

UNLESS!! Your TB display has loop through (and I think they do), in which case you go TB from computer to display, then TB out to a TB IO, like the Decklink Ultrastudio Mini Monitor...then HDMI from that to your HDTV:

[www.blackmagicdesign.com]

That box runs $145. I have it and it works great with FCP, Adobe and Avid. I have the AJA box too.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
Re: Macbook Pro + Thunderbolt Display + HDMI TV monitor - is this configuration possible?
December 17, 2013 06:04PM
yeah, what Shane says in his second paragraph.

i've been running a setup like that for a while now:
MBP into TB display, TB display into Blackmagic Intensity, HDMI into TV.

nick
Great - thanks guys - good advice. I shall look into the Blackmagic Intensity.

I find it hard to believe there isn't an Apple fix for this to run through the TB port on the back of the display - there must be thousands of editors worldwide who want this configuration.

John
December 17, 2013 06:19PM
Fix for what? You've always needed an IO device if you wanted to view your footage full screen...properly. Sure, you can view full screen on your second computer display, by going into DIGITAL CINEMA PREVIEW mode. But then you lose one monitor as a work space. This has always been the case. If editors wanted two monitors and a third client monitor, they've needed to rely on IO boxes. And as it happens, the Mini Monitor is the cheapest one that has ever been made. Before it, you were looking at between $550 and $10,000. You MIGHT get away with DCP if you had TWO TB displays, Digital Cinema Preview, but I can't say for sure...never tried. And I doubt a TB to HDMI option would work.

$145 is nothing dude...in the world of video editing, it's as cheap as it gets.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
Understood!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics