Re-Opening multiple projects - settings

Posted by monkeymaker 
Re-Opening multiple projects - settings
January 04, 2014 03:18AM
I'm having a grrr moment.

Because I have to keep switching cache & vault folders, and audio and video settings, every time I reopen a different project (lest the saved files get scattered all over joint), how on earth do I find out what my audio/video settings were from project to project if FCP won't store the info?

I am trying to export audio for a post-sound designer, and I have found a bunch of audio and video files running out of sync. I don't really want to have re-edit the whole damn film again to match new rates, especially since it's vision locked and VFX'd, but there is no record of frame rates, and with the constant to-ing and fro-ing with audio caches and vaults, I'm lost...

Please halp!
Re: Re-Opening multiple projects - settings
January 04, 2014 08:34AM
> how on earth do I find out what my audio/video settings were from project to project if FCP won't store the info?

Final Cut Pro - Audio/Video Settings.

These are not stored on a project-by-project basis. They are software preferences. That means FCP will operate on the last set of settings chosen, regardless of how many project files are accessed.

If you switch projects a lot and they all require different presets, you should make custom presets with a prefix in the name that identifies the project.

Handling multiple sets of media settings was not FCP Legacy's strong suit.

> I am trying to export audio for a post-sound designer, and I have found a bunch of audio and video files running out of sync.

That really shouldn't be, because switching projects does not change the Sequence and media settings used for the import when it happened. This suggests to me that you didn't check the settings when you did the import. You should be checking the presets at least once per session, and if you work on multiple different projects in the same session, you should be checking these with every project switch.

www.derekmok.com
January 04, 2014 05:31PM
"Because I have to keep switching cache & vault folders"

well, you dont have to.

i keep cache & vault folders set to the system drive.
capture scratch & render files, i'd switch.

so did these files play in sync in FCP?

nick
January 06, 2014 01:29AM
Unfortunately, I was never taught how to maintain stored scratch disk destination info within a given file (never knew I could), so I keep having to change them over - along with "Easy Setup" and "A/V Settings" - every time I alternate between projects.

confused smiley
January 06, 2014 07:25AM
> I was never taught how to maintain stored scratch disk destination info within a given file

It's not possible to do that. FCP Legacy simply did not function that way. Those particular preferences are not linked to files. Everybody who used it had to switch that preference every time. Some people used a method of choosing one Scratch Disk for all projects ([Selected Directory] - Capture Scratch). When FCP created clips or rendered, it would create a sub-folder within "Capture Scratch", based on the project name, and send the files to that. However, that necessitates that all the project media is on one drive, which is never the case for me.

www.derekmok.com
January 06, 2014 11:50AM
"Unfortunately, I was never taught how to maintain stored scratch disk destination info within a given file (never knew I could)"

my point was that while you most probably DO have to switch capture & render scratch folders,
i dont think it's worth switching cache & vault.
in fact with the vault you are better off NOT switching, and leaving that on your system drive, so as to have a backup (of sorts) of your projects.

there was a product released a few years ago (by Edit Mule, i think) which simplified the process of having settings associated with projects.
sadly not available any more.

"I keep having to change ... "Easy Setup" and "A/V Settings" - every time I alternate between projects."

AV settings are saveable as an easy setup.
set it all up, SAVE an easy set-up (named after you project if you want),
and just recall that.

nick
January 07, 2014 05:40AM
You also say it's VFX heavy. I have found that rendering *everything* first repairs synch issues in some shows on some slower machines. Definitely render everything first, then check synch.

- Loren

Today's FCP 7 keytips:
Copy clip Attributes with Command-C
Paste selected Attributes with Option-V
Remove selected Attributes with Command-Option-V !

Your Final Cut Studio KeyGuide™ Power Pack.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics