Re installed FCP 7 Updates

Posted by Douglas Villalba 
Re installed FCP 7 Updates
January 29, 2014 05:00PM
I'm sure someone already asked this, but I can't find it and I need to get a new job out.
I had to reinstall FCP 7 and I need to update to 7.0.3
Can someone tell me if is even posible anymore?

God Bless,

Douglas Villalba
director/cinematographer/editor
Miami, Florida

[www.DouglasVillalba.info]
[www.youtube.com]
[vimeo.com]
Re: Re installed FCP 7 Updates
January 29, 2014 09:42PM
Yes. It's not called "7.0.3" but "Pro Applications Update 2010-02". It's there in Software Update or at least it was last week.

If you're on MacOS 10.6.8 avoid the "ProApps Quicktime Codecs 1.0.3" as it will break MPEG2 and some other stuff. That's an update for FCP X.
And there's now "ProApps Quicktime Codecs 1.0.4" which I would also avoid unless you have FCP X.

ak
Sleeplings, AWAKE!
January 31, 2014 10:20AM
I should have said that I'm on Maverick and I have installed FCX Trial. (I needed to get some work out).
I also installed Pro Applications Update 2010-02 with some difficulty (It first said the software was created by a non-authorized vendor)
but it didn't update anything. I can't even monitor out to BM card from the Timeline only from the viewer.
I had to edit a 24 min. TV show for a friend that needs it today in Chicago by 10:00 am. I haven't had any sleep for 30 hours and I'm still uploading to the FTP.
Any ideas?

God Bless,

Douglas Villalba
director/cinematographer/editor
Miami, Florida

[www.DouglasVillalba.info]
[www.youtube.com]
[vimeo.com]
February 04, 2014 10:47AM
As it's been said in priors threads on this forum you can update systems coming from Lion with FinalCut Studio (Fcp7 & Co) "already on it".

But you'll never be able to make a fresh install of Mountain Lion or above and install correctly FinalCut Studio (Legacy) on that boot.
February 04, 2014 02:50PM
Francois
But you'll never be able to make a fresh install of Mountain Lion or above and install correctly FinalCut Studio (Legacy) on that boot.
You reported that in a July 2013 strand, where others agreed and disagreed. I'm one of the disagreers, who has now fresh-installed FCS3 (with FCP7) on two new (fresh) Mountain Lion systems. It required preinstalling QT 7.6.6, but no other effort. After applying ProApplicationsUpdate 2010-02 they're running FCP 7.0.3 with Motion 4.0.3.

Dennis Couzin
Berlin, Germany
February 05, 2014 10:55PM
Ah, useful, Dennis.

Why, now you're ready to Carbon-Copy-clone that volume to a fresh drive or partition in prep for a Mavericks install and AFIAK everything will work a peach.

But then I haven't upgraded to OSX 9.1. Maybe I'll do that and lets see what breaks.

- Loren

Today's FCP 7 keytips:
Copy clip Attributes with Command-C
Paste selected Attributes with Option-V
Remove selected Attributes with Command-Option-V !

Your Final Cut Studio KeyGuide™ Power Pack.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
February 06, 2014 07:31PM
Loren: though it worked for me, fresh installation of FCP 7.0.3 onto Mountain Lion doesn't work for all. The July 2013 strand was inconclusive about causes. "Francois' problem is unsolved."

Francois, 24 July 2013
Bottom line ... I keep a separate boot with Snow Leopard for Fcp legacy use.

Why the rush to Mavericks? Though I've installed FCP 7.0.3 onto Mountain Lion, I usually run FCP 7.0.3 on Snow Leopard, where it runs somewhat faster. Grownup workers, who use Apple software on workstations, should have some resistance to Apple's trouble-making gambol from operating system to operating system. Look, "Mavericks" refers to a surfing beach. If Apple next tells you you must wear a wetsuit to play on your computer will you resist?

Carbon Copy Cloner (CCC) is good software, but where the goal is just to make a bootable clone of a volume, the restore function in the OSX's Disk Utility does the job. CCC uses this OSX function when it can. Disk Utility doesn't work, and CCC does, when the destination volume has capacity significantly smaller than the original volume. Without CCC, you'd have to defrag/compact and repartition the original volume in order to make it smaller.

Dennis Couzin
Berlin, Germany
February 08, 2014 11:11AM
when I stated above

> you'll never be able to make a fresh install of Mountain Lion or above and install correctly FinalCut Studio (Legacy) on that boot.

the most important word is correctly ...
February 11, 2014 11:16AM
@ Francois; That is curious, I did a standard install of FCS3 from DVD's onto 10.7. I then upgraded to 10.7.4. I work in it regularly, in longform, utilizing QuickTime 7.6.6.

@Dennis; I agree, no rush, but the latest QT X has nice features, much better behaved, and the Apple apps are much more handsome. Maps is becoming a killer app. Everything is a bit snappier.

Still want to hear from those using FCS3 under 10.9.1, especially if they had it working well under 10.9.

- Loren

Today's FCP 7 keytips:
Copy clip Attributes with Command-C
Paste selected Attributes with Option-V
Remove selected Attributes with Command-Option-V !

Your Final Cut Studio KeyGuide™ Power Pack.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
March 08, 2014 06:37AM
@ Loren

Of course, the problem is with 10.8 (Mountain Lion) fresh install.

You need to upgrade your system from 10.6 (Snow Leopard) or 10.7 (Lion) with a Fcp Studio already working !
March 08, 2014 10:29AM
@ Francois

As discussed in the July 2013 strand some of us fresh installed FCS3 onto fresh installed Mountain Lion. Others of us couldn't. The difference might be due to the kind of FCS3 install discs used.

Dennis Couzin
Berlin, Germany
March 08, 2014 09:49PM
Per experiment, I made a fresh install of Mavericks 10.9.2 over a fresh 10.8.3 volume. (I got to see, but not pay, Apple Store, and oh Mavericks' green and blue sheaved water is so potent, and its little tags are so cute.) Fresh installation of FCP 7 into Mavericks worked. Of course you must install QuickTime 7.6.6 (available here) too. Update to FCP 7.0.3 worked. FCP 7.0.3 seemed to work normally. Then I erased the volume.

Dennis Couzin
Berlin, Germany
March 12, 2014 09:23AM
Denis, I am not sure to follow you when you write :

> "I made a fresh install of Mavericks 10.9.2 over a fresh 10.8.3 volume."

You agree of course that there no system " Fresh install" or "Clean Install " that is not made on a blank reformatted volume ?
March 13, 2014 01:11AM
Francois, my computer came with Mountain Lion. I used Recovery several months ago to download and install a completely fresh 10.8.3 on a formatted volume. I worked with a clone of that volume. I installed no applications on this 10.8.3 system. Last week I used Update to download and install 10.9.2 on this 10.8.3 volume. So I shouldn't have called the 10.9.2 a fresh install. It was an update of a fresh 10.8.3 system.

Dennis Couzin
Berlin, Germany
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics