Multiple frame rates in an FCP7 timeline, It's export time!

Posted by Wanted Man 
Multiple frame rates in an FCP7 timeline, It's export time!
February 12, 2014 06:50AM
Hi all,

I've opened an archived project to export it's contents and I'm having audio-visual sync issues due to the miss-matched frame rates of the footage on the timeline. Rates vary from 29.97, 23.98, 30, 25, 24, 11, 10, and 14.99fps. and the majority of clips are H.264. Clearly a nightmare. It all plays fine in sync in the timeline start to finish however.

The project timeline is 6 tracks high, a pretty complex cut with graphics & text overlaid and has a total runtime of 47 minutes. I've tried exporting bits of it, exporting audio/visual separately, nesting the sequence etc, unsurprisingly nothing is working.

Is the project a dead loss? am I really looking at having to transcode all the source clips? I'm guessing the footage would in no way reconnect, there are hundreds of cuts in there so I could be looking at a complete re-edit. Screams*

It's an old personal project not for a client, but I was still hoping to get it out. Any ideas or shall I just put a gun to my head now?

Egg on my face,

WM,
Re: Multiple frame rates in an FCP7 timeline, It's export time!
February 12, 2014 05:02PM
It's unclear from your post what exactly is wrong in the export. Sync issues. This could mean the picture comes out wrong, the sound comes out wrong, or both come out wrong. If it's just the sound, try exporting the sound direct from the playback with such software as Screenflow. I wouldn't trust Screenflow for the picture however.

Have you fully rendered before attempting export? Discard your old render files and re-render. Another idea is to change the sequence setting from H.264 to ProRes and render everything. These require time but no work.

Dennis Couzin
Berlin, Germany
February 12, 2014 05:55PM
hit go and see what happens!

nick
February 13, 2014 02:20AM
>>It all plays fine in sync in the timeline start to finish however. <<
>>It's an old personal project not for a client<<

How about a screen capture of the playout right from the timeline, using something like iShowU? Even if you have to stop a few times you can stitch the capture back together in FCP if required.

April 03, 2014 10:29AM
Jude Cotter Wrote:

> How about a screen capture of the playout right
> from the timeline, using something like iShowU?

Let's all remember this. That is one fantastic tip!!

Stefan

--
macpro 2x3 ghz dual core intel, 10.6.8, FCS 2
April 04, 2014 03:34AM
Indeed, in this case the ideal solution and works great, well worth the $, cheers Jude!
April 04, 2014 11:02PM
"Screenflow" mentioned above is also screen capture software. But my experience with it was not so good. It can make a juddery mess of the picture. So be careful which screen capture software you buy.

Dennis Couzin
Berlin, Germany
April 05, 2014 01:21AM
Screenflow by Telestream- seconded. Surprisingly versatile.

- Loren

Today's FCP 7 keytips:
Copy clip Attributes with Command-C
Paste selected Attributes with Option-V
Remove selected Attributes with Command-Option-V !

Your Final Cut Studio KeyGuide™ Power Pack.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics