Any way to set overwrite instead of insert on drag to timeline?

Posted by vizwiz 
Any way to set overwrite instead of insert on drag to timeline?
April 21, 2014 11:04AM
FCP7.
I'm having to drag hundreds of clips to timeline. Annoyingly, they are often inserted, so everything in video and audio tracks has a gap, and I have to copy the clip, move timeline playhead, undo two steps and paste it back in, wasting a lot of time in the process.
Dragging it to canvas onto 'overwrite' is not an option because I'd have to move playhead to where I want it every time, which'd add time, plus it would insert it onto first video track instead of a track I need it on.
I can't figure out what makes it sometimes overwrite and sometimes instert. I thought it was about how long you hover over timeline with the clip, but it isn't. Sometimes I drop it right away, more often I have to position it just right for a few seconds, and it doesn't seem to influence the randomness of insert/overwrite.
Didn't see anything in menu's or manual.
Thank you.
vw
Re: Any way to set overwrite instead of insert on drag to timeline?
April 21, 2014 11:19AM
If you watch the little arrow that appears on the clip when you get it near the timeline, it will show you what it is going to do when you let go of the mouse button. A right pointing arrow means it is going to insert, a down pointing arrow means it is going to overwrite. You'll see that the arrow changes based on where the clip presently is in relation to the timeline - a little high gets you the insert arrow, pull it down a bit and it will change to the overwrite arrow. I had the same frustration as you until someone pointed out this little feature. It is "in the manual" but it's a mystery how you are supposed to look it up.

BTW, you might find your workflow easier if you just hit F9 to insert the clip in the viewer into the timeline at the playhead, or F10 to overwrite; saves all that careful mouse work.
April 21, 2014 11:23AM
> Dragging it to canvas onto 'overwrite' is not an option because I'd have to move playhead to where I want it every time

Don't quite get what the issue is. You'd have to set the playhead whichever option you use.

> Annoyingly, they are often inserted, so everything in video and audio tracks has a gap

If you perform the insert edit correctly, there shouldn't be an unwanted gap. And anyway, that's what editing is. I almost never have video and audio cut at the same place, so gaps are inevitable. Just learn how to switch tools quickly so you can close the gap quickly.

> I can't figure out what makes it sometimes overwrite and sometimes insert.

When dragging directly to the timeline, if the arrow which appears (before setting the clip/s down) is pointing down, it's overwrite; if the arrow is pointing to the right, it's insert. Drop onto the lower half of the track for overwrite, upper half for insert.

This is clunky, however, If you already have clips in place and you wish to do an insert, you should be using the playhead instead of trying to do an automatic drag and drop. As for which track the clip appears on, that is determined by the Source/Destination buttons on the left.

www.derekmok.com
April 21, 2014 11:47AM
Thank you guys. Such a simple answer.
Wish I got to work with pro's like y'all instead of amateurs (in attitude, anyway) before and behind camera in China.
But hey, rent's cheap here.
Happy cutting,
n
April 24, 2014 07:23PM
In FCP 7, every track has a faint little spine running along its middle. This is the "magic line." Drag above-- you Insert. Drag below- you Overwrite. The changing cursor reinforces the concept.

It's become so popular it's been carried over to Avid Media Composer! As I recall, just the opposite behavior- lol.

But as mentioned by Derek, why drag? Park your playhead where you want it, go to your Browser clips bin, select and copy one or more clips, go to the timeline, park your Playhead at the head of the first clip in the group, hit Command V-- assuming the replacement clips exactly replace existing clips, this Paste command works just fine.

If you don't want your pastes to physically overwrite the existing clips for some reason, AutoSelect a clear track above. Command -0 toggles all Video tracks off or on. Command- numeric keypad 1,2,3.. toggles individual Track AutoSelect enablers for Paste (and several other functions).

- Loren

Today's FCP 7 keytips:
Copy clip Attributes with Command-C
Paste selected Attributes with Option-V
Remove selected Attributes with Command-Option-V !

Your Final Cut Studio KeyGuide™ Power Pack.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics