Final Cut 7 on new Mac Pro -- can't read C300 files
April 29, 2014 10:54AM
I recently purchased a mac pro which I'm liking a lot. smiling smiley I installed FCP 7 and have been editing without problems.

However, I shot yesterday on a canon C300 and went to Log and Transfer the footage. No dice. It can see the card but says there is no compatible format on it. ??

I was able to open the footage using Canon FX Utility and back it up. But still no way to convert it to ProRes LT as I normally do. So I mounted the drive on my old mac pro and am using Log/Transfer there to create files to edit with, and then will plug that back into my new mac pro and import the files.

Any suggestion for how I can get FCP 7 in my new mac pro to recognize the MXF files as it does on my old mac pro? They are grayed out on the new mac pro and I get that error message. Is there some plugin I am missing and need to install on the new machine?

Am running 10.9.2 on the new mac pro, the old one runs 10.6.8.

Thanks for any suggestions. I saw I could purchase MXF Converter for mac which is a $25 program and claims it will convert the footage. But I used to just do that in FCP 7.
Re: Final Cut 7 on new Mac Pro -- can't read C300 files
April 29, 2014 12:22PM
Shane Ross suggested a Canon plugin here, but that was in 2011. Will the plugin run under Mavericks? The title "on a new Mac Pro" should be understood as "under Mavericks". The new Mac Pro compels Mavericks.

I'm so very happy I bought a 2012 Mac Pro (in order to run OSX 10.6.8) instead of the new one.

Dennis Couzin
Berlin, Germany
April 29, 2014 02:16PM
Thank you, Dennis! I was able to download and install, all good to go now! Appreciate the link.

Jeff
April 29, 2014 02:33PM
Jeff: lucky you.
Incidentally I'm looking for a good sample of CanonLog footage, if you can spare a bit.

Dennis Couzin
Berlin, Germany
May 01, 2014 05:38AM
Hey, that's news on TWO fronts!

1) FCP7 installs on the new Mac Pro!!

2) Works under Mavericks 9.2 !! And since older OSX doesn't function as an install base, everything that's needed may be included in the FCS 3 install.

WHOA! That is AWESOME. Opens up a whole pro market for Apple! I think I will buy a few shares and plan for the 7:1 split coming June 6th... oh, wait, I need the 5K for the Howitzer shell and a PCIe expansion box.

Jeff, how did you install-- what kind of DVD player and connection?

Do all your FCS components function? Soundtrack Pro 3? Compressor 3? Motion 4?

- Loren

Today's FCP 7 keytips:
Copy clip Attributes with Command-C
Paste selected Attributes with Option-V
Remove selected Attributes with Command-Option-V !

Your Final Cut Studio KeyGuide™ Power Pack.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
May 01, 2014 06:28AM
Loren: Installation of FCP7 on "fresh" Mavericks OSX 10.9.2 was already reported on March 8. The FCS3 installer used was the FinalCutStudio.mpkg from 2009. I have my FCS3 installer as a .dmg together with ProApplicationsUpdate2010-02 and QuickTime 7.6.6 on a hard drive to install and install and install.

Dennis Couzin
Berlin, Germany
May 01, 2014 01:00PM
Yeah same here for any FCP7 reinstall I have my DMG copies so no DVD-ROM necessary although any USB or Thunderbolt/Firewire DVD or Blu-ray would drive would attach just fine.

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
May 01, 2014 01:08PM
Yeah, once I figured out how to turn a surplus SATA drive into a repository for all the installer disk images I needed for a rebuild/full install, I started saving so much time.
It really added up, the time one spent swapping out DVDs. (FCP, Logic, Adobe, Native Instruments, plug-ins etc.)
This is a trick that will vanish in the sandstorms of time though...

ak
Sleeplings, AWAKE!
May 06, 2014 11:33PM
OK, I like that concept; I'll bite, how do I turn my install DVD's into a .dmg files that link up the same way as the discs? Anybody point to a procedural and tool?

Best, as always,
Loren S. Miller
www.neotrondesign.com
Home of KeyGuide Central
May 06, 2014 11:52PM
With large HD mounted, insert DVD.
Open disk utility
Create new image from disk
repeat for all disks in set

When it comes time to install, mount HD.
Open/Mount all images in set.
Begin install from first disk image.
Make tea, monitor progress.

ak
Sleeplings, AWAKE!
May 21, 2014 11:54PM
Awesome, Andrew. Much thanks.

- Loren

Today's FCP 7 keytips:
Copy clip Attributes with Command-C
Paste selected Attributes with Option-V
Remove selected Attributes with Command-Option-V !

Your Final Cut Studio KeyGuide™ Power Pack.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics