Transcoding .MXF files for FCP7

Posted by Wanted Man 
Transcoding .MXF files for FCP7
May 28, 2014 02:44PM
Hi Guys,

My client is providing me with canon-shot .MXF files. I can read these in VLC but not open them in streamclip for conversion. Can anyone suggest the most efficient transcoding workflow?

Cheers,
WM
Re: Transcoding .MXF files for FCP7
May 28, 2014 03:34PM
We use Adobe Media Encoder CC at the BBC to transcode all MXF and a number of other formats to ProRes for editing.

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
May 28, 2014 04:43PM
Thanks Ben, although is there a free app that will convert these files? It's a freelance project and I'd rather put off investing in software immediately . .
May 28, 2014 05:36PM
You could get the free trial of Premiere or After Effects or all the apps which should come with it...

At the bottom of the pricing: [www.adobe.com]

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
May 28, 2014 07:05PM
Also, you could cut it natively in Premiere while you're trialing it. MXF files don't need transcoding in Premiere. Just turn on the FCP set of keys in the keyboard shortcuts and get the job done right easy like.

May 30, 2014 05:07PM
You know, Canon makes a Log and Transfer plugin for their MXF cameras (the C300, XF cameras)...it's called the Canon XF Log and Transfer plugin. Install that and you can use Log and Transfer like you do with most tapeless cameras.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
June 03, 2014 07:10AM
Hi Shane - is that a goer for FCP 7.0?
June 03, 2014 10:53AM
I am talking about FCP 7. FCX doesn't do Log and Transfer.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics