Best method for syncing audio and video when timecode MATCHES?

Posted by John K 
Best method for syncing audio and video when timecode MATCHES?
August 07, 2014 05:59PM
Just shot a project on the C300 and the sound guy (bless his heart) ran timecode into the camera from his equipment. So the TC on the clips (with scratch audio) matches the TC on the multitrack audio clips. So is there a simple method for replacing all the clip audio on a timeline, other than just matching it by hand and relinking the tracks? I know that will go quick but I'm just making sure there isn't a faster technique for batch syncing the audio that I've never used.

I feel really silly for asking this because I'm sure there's some obvious way to do this within FCP7, but I've never had a situation where dual system recording was done CORRECTLY before! I'm so used to having to do it the hard way -- either by matching slate hits or using PluralEyes -- that I'm not sure where to start. (Good problem to have, I guess!)

TIA,
JVK

August 07, 2014 07:29PM
As far as I know in FCP7 and lower the only way to do it is clip by clip, choosing both and merging them, selecting 'by timecode'. Unless you're doing anything multicam?

Re: Best method for syncing audio and video when timecode MATCHES?
August 08, 2014 02:48AM
Does this do it?

[www.spherico.com]

I seem to remember using it for exactly the same thing a few years ago
August 08, 2014 08:53AM
sequnce liner can get you some of the way there,
but as you ask for the BEST method, i'll tel you to go for Sync n Link from Inteligent Assistance.

it's pretty pricey,
but maybe they've dropped the price as FCP7 is now so old?

why is it better?
it wil sync your clips, AND link them,
it can trim your overhanging audo if you want (I prefere that myself),
and a very cool featuer is it can name your clips in FCP after the audio file names,
so if your sound-recordist was super on the ball, and entered the correct slate names, you are well ahead.

another possible solution is to run your rushes though RESOLVE.
it can sync audio as it transcodes.

you get new files with picture and audio,
so harder to trace back to the orignal audio files if you need to down the track,
but you dont always have to worry about that.

nick
August 11, 2014 09:25AM
I only know of the method Jude mentioned, which is why I still use Pluraleyes (if a reference track was recorded) even if they jam sunk timecode.

PE will do most of what Nick describes with "Sync N Link", with the exception of naming clips after audio file names. That's a really useful feature, hope PE will adopt that, as well as processing R3Ds.
August 18, 2014 08:32AM
We had an issue with Sequence Liner last time where the clips returned had a lot of black and some ran on for hours.

What we did in FCP7 was we'll make a multicam sequence, which will stringout all the clips by timecode. Only downside was that all the clips would be multiclips. You can match frame and replace them afterwards if you don't want multiclips.

www.strypesinpost.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics