making an HD DVD

Posted by evarita 
making an HD DVD
September 30, 2014 11:47PM
Hi All,
I'm working on Final cut 7 on an Intel Imac.
I cut my project in HD 1920x1080 29097. That is also how I shot it...on a card.

My question is, is it possible to make an actual HD DVD that can play on a regular dvd player that is hooked up to an HD tv? I had to burn my project in dvd studio pro in SD 16x9 format and then it looked like crap on my HD tv? I need to be able to play the video/dvd in a theatre. How is it all done these days.
Thanks for updating my obviously outdated skill set.
Thanks in advance
evarita
Re: making an HD DVD
October 01, 2014 06:38AM
> I had to burn my project in dvd studio pro in SD 16x9 format and then it looked like crap on my HD tv? I need to be able to play the video/dvd in a
> theatre.

Well, depends on how you define "looks like crap". Burning the DVD yourself will never yield pro-looking results (they pay people a lot of money for proper colour correction, mastering, etc.), but it should be passable for a quickie screening. But you already have two strikes: An SD video source will never look all that hot when projected to a big screen.

> My question is, is it possible to make an actual HD DVD that can play on a regular dvd player

DVDs are Standard Def. If you want to make an HD DVD(the Toshiba format intended to be competition for Blu-Ray), you can, but that format's been dead for years and almost nobody has a player anymore. And playing an HD DVD on a "regular DVD player" is an impossibility -- sounds like you have some misconceptions about the formats. What you want is a Blu-Ray disc (BD).

www.derekmok.com
Re: making an HD DVD
October 01, 2014 04:25PM
Users of DVD Studio Pro see the HD DVD option so they think it's real. Hardly. And they don't see the Blu-ray option (which is hidden in FCP's "Share" ) so they think it's exotic. Hardly. Many more theatres can play Blu-rays than can play HD DVDs. FCP + Compressor can create simple Blu-rays via "Share". The forum covered this here and here. Amateurs can make good looking Blu-rays because with H.264 at 30 Mbps it's hard to make crap (from non-crap). evita would only need an inexpensive Blu-ray burner.

evita should contact the theatre or theatres where the video will play. Can they project Blu-rays? Some theatres can project from .mov files.

Dennis Couzin
Berlin, Germany
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics