Conversion

Posted by BigBobFCPMan 
Conversion
October 11, 2014 06:05PM
How can I convert Sony 4 K to Pro Res 422 HQ? I can't afford Vegas Pro.
Re: Conversion
October 11, 2014 06:34PM
would this do?

$20 Sony tool for managing their media
conversion to ProRes is part of the package

[www.sonycreativesoftware.com]

nick
October 11, 2014 09:28PM
Thanks, but according to the manual, if I convert to anything, it will have a watermark, and only 30 sec of audio unless I buy another product. I guess I just wasted $20. Thanks.
October 11, 2014 11:25PM
http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/contentbrowser/fileformats

This is a nice list of gotchas and notquiteenoughs to make that $20 seem like a little misleading. If you want to convert to another frame size, or convert anything for that matter, pay more...

*1 Rovi plug-in "Conversion Pack for Content Browser" is required, only when parameters (resolution, bit rate, frame rate etc.) are different between source and destination files.

ak
Sleeplings, AWAKE!
October 11, 2014 11:34PM
sorry, i didn't see that, either.

nm
October 11, 2014 11:49PM
I do not want to convert to any other size, just something I can cut in FCP 7. Also, I don't want to wait long for rendering all the time so I'd like to have something like Pro Res 422 HQ, which is what the rest of the footage is. The software does convert to XDCam EX which will work in FCP, but it only does it one at a time, and then I'll have to send that to Compressor to get Pro Res 422. There are so many programs that do that for Red camera files, or any of the other popular cameras out now so I find it hard to believe that Sony does not have one.
October 12, 2014 07:12AM
BigBobFCPMan
The software does convert to XDCam EX which will work in FCP, but it only does it one at a time, and then I'll have to send that to Compressor to get Pro Res 422 [HQ].

It sounds like you have solved your problem, except for a bit of bother, if this routine preserves the quality of your original. Consider: in what codec, at what bitrate, is your 4K original; in what codec, at what bitrate, is the XDCam EX thing you refer to?

Dennis Couzin
Berlin, Germany
October 12, 2014 09:34AM
"I do not want to convert to any other size, just something I can cut in FCP 7"

4k would be too large for FCP7
if your original footage was HD, then Resolve Lite (which is free) would probably work for you

"It sounds like you have solved your problem, except for a bit of bother"

too much bother, i'd say.
October 13, 2014 10:22AM
Nick Meyers
4k would be too large for FCP7
Nick is right. I thought BigBobFCPMan wanted to edit strictly online, hence his choice of ProRes HQ, and I trusted FCP7's documentation that it could handle 4K, except without "full real-time playback".
I just made a 4096x2304 ProRes HQ and put it on a RAM disk to test FCP7. Playback in the canvas was smooth, but horrors: the colors changed between stopped and running -- gamma increased.
I've a MacPro with 6-core 3.33 Gz and HD 5770 graphics card. Maybe on a stronger system FCP7 can do a little better with 4K. Maybe not.

Dennis Couzin
Berlin, Germany
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics