FCP7 and Yosemite

Posted by John K 
FCP7 and Yosemite
October 28, 2014 11:32PM
Had a spare laptop laying around so decided to install Yosemite to see what got broken by the update.

Surprise surprise, FCP7 still works.

I only did a quick test -- 2 Canon 7D clips, a wav file and a render+playback -- but it seems to be running fine. Compressor also launches. Motion 4, however, is dead. The dock icon had a big slash through it and it said it would not run under the OS.

FWIW, I think Yosemite is HIDEOUS. The new app icons look like they were designed for children and all the translucency in the Finder is distracting. Yecch. Gonna stick with Mavericks for a while, methinks.

JVK

October 29, 2014 10:03AM
You can turn that translucency off in system prefs, but unexpectedly it's found in the accesibility section.
(Or so I've read)

Thanks for the update smiling smiley

Nick
Re: FCP7 and Yosemite
October 29, 2014 11:41AM
How's Mavericks compared to Mountain Lion?

I hate upgrading unless there's some gain, so is Mav or Yosemite smoother, safer, faster?
October 29, 2014 01:32PM
When I upgraded to Mavericks I had a considerable hit. Took forever to open apps. All apps. So I reinstalled and everything was back to normal. Did not notice any faster speed. 2012 MBP 2.6GHZ i7

Michael Horton
-------------------
October 29, 2014 02:59PM
Nick Meyers Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You can turn that translucency off in system
> prefs, but unexpectedly it's found in the
> accesibility section.
> (Or so I've read)

Thanks Nick, I'll check that out! Very weird they hid that in the Accessibility pane; the option to make the menu bar transparent used to be in the Display prefs. There is an option to make the menu bar and Dock 'DARK' which I think is even more distracting.

Regarding Mavericks, I'm happily running the latest build on a 2014 MBP Retina. I agree with Michael, it can slow down older machines so be wary about upgrading if your system is working fine. I thought Mountain Lion was pretty solid and is still supported (like with the latest Adobe CC apps) so if it's your work machine and it ain't broke...

With Mavericks and Yosemite I would say the most compelling reason to upgrade involve iOS devices; most of the new features revolve around tying the the two systems closer together and allowing easier exchange of information between apps. Mavericks added Maps (send directions right to your iPhone), iCloud Keychain, shared Browser links, iBooks, etc. Yosemite works closely with iOS 8 to enable things like Continuity, Family Sharing and iCloud drive. If none of that interests you or you don't have an iPhone or iPad then I would say no, there's no compelling reason to upgrade.

JVK
October 29, 2014 11:53PM
Yosemite also breaks older versions of iPhoto. I've heard reports of people losing their old libraries when installing the new iPhoto, but I don't know if this is true. As a precaution I backed up all my master images before installing the update. Also, it's about a gig, so be prepared for that if you're on a slow/restricted download limit.

Oh, and I noticed the Qmaster pref pane and all flip4mac stuff had been moved to a folder named 'incompatible software'. Not sure if that means anything for compressor workflows?

October 30, 2014 10:45AM
Any Qmaster related stuff won't work work anymore, this includes Compressor when working with Qmaster.

- Andreas
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics