Advice please - surreptitiously recording audio of a lecture with my iPhone 5

Posted by MichaelSage 
Advice please - surreptitiously recording audio of a lecture with my iPhone 5
November 02, 2014 03:05PM
Hi,

I will be attending a conference soon, that I have attended several times in the past. One of the speakers is a brilliant man who talks very quickly. In the past, when I tried to write a quick note, I usually missed something important. So I want to record to the talk for my own personal use, nobody else will even know I made it.

The speaker normally announces "please don't record this talk". I have a good relationship with the speaker, and I don't want to ruin it, but I would really like to have a copy of his talks.

This year I intend to record the talk with my iPhone 5. I plan to turn on the iPhone recording before I enter the room, and turn it off after I leave the room. His talks are about 2-3 hours long.

The room has a decent PA, but the main problem I foresee, after a brief test at home, using the built-in Voice Memos app, is getting sufficient volume on the recording. The man I want to record will not be speaking until the second day so I will be able to do some testing before I start recording the material that is important to me.

My first question is which software app should I use?

Is it possible to increase the volume on the recording with better software?

My preferred choice would be to leave the iPhone in the holster on my belt. But I don't think that will provide sufficient volume.

My next choice would be to lay the iPhone flat on the table in front of me.

My final choice (unless someone has a better idea) would be to have the iPhone upright, upside down, in an open cloth sack, that will contain some snacks, a binder and pens etc. I would put the iPhone in a rigid container like a cardboard tube, so that nothing will block the microphone.

Will the built-in microphone work better, upside down in an upright position rather than flat on a table?

I am sure that the best way to do this, but I really prefer to avoid it if I can get a decent recording without doing it, is to use an external microphone. If this is necessary my inclination would be to use a microphone that fits on the phone as inconspicuously as possible, with the phone upright in the sack. I think I should buy one and take it with me in case I need it.

Any recommendations for an inconspicous iPhone microphone?

Any other suggestions or recommendations?

Thanks!

Mike
Re: Advice please - surreptitiously recording audio of a lecture with my iPhone 5
November 05, 2014 02:34AM
Mike

We really can't help you here. You are asking us to help you covertly record something without permission. Get the guys permission.

Michael Horton
-------------------
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics