FCP 7 on a PPC 11.2 (2.3 Ghz) 10.5.8 ?

Posted by MarkP 
FCP 7 on a PPC 11.2 (2.3 Ghz) 10.5.8 ?
November 28, 2014 11:14PM
Hello FCP Community,

I have read what I can, and the mystery just deepens.

I own a PPC 11.2 (2.3 Ghz) running 10.5.8 and would like to install the latest version of FCP
that will work.

I have found various blog comments indicating that FCP 7 will install, even though Apple
says it is for INTEL ONLY. I was unable to find any further specific threads on this matter.
The blog thread that I reference had a very long, intricate, but somewhat non-specific
discussion about this, which only left me with more questions.

The bottom line for me; if I drop $550 on Ebay for a FCP 7 distribution, I would need to be
pretty confident that I can get it installed and running properly. I am essentially an advanced
hobbyist at this point in life, so reliable and robust functionality is more important to me than
maximum, bullet-proof performance, hence, I'm still driving a PPC.

Can anyone tell me if I will be able to install FCP 7 with relatively little anxiety and if there are
any caveats? I recall some application that allowed the installer to override the system require-
ments phase. If it will run, is anything like this, or anything else needed for installation, and what
would that be??

Otherwise, I have to assume that FCP 6 would be the intelligent choice.

Thanks in advance for your kind assistance.

Mark Pompian
opticnerve@earthlink.net
Re: FCP 7 on a PPC 11.2 (2.3 Ghz) 10.5.8 ?
December 04, 2014 01:19AM
Bueller?
December 05, 2014 02:03PM
If I were you, I'd avoid the REALLY old hardware. PowerPC is so old...so under powered...just isn't worth it. Really only good if you are working with DV (standard def), HDV or DVCPRO HD. ProRes and PowerPC don't really mix. First off, you can't log and transfer anything to ProRes...FCP simply won't do it. And converting with an outside app will take FOREVER. Trust me...forever.

At least get an Intel iMac or MacPro...plenty of those can be had for cheap.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
December 08, 2014 01:58PM
Install Final Cut Studio 2009 (with Fcp7) on a PPC in possible if you twickle the installer to bypass a command included by Apple at the last minute to prevent people to do so.

Don't expect performances... as Shane said, go with a cheap second hand MacTel
December 08, 2014 04:06PM
Thanks for your input Shane. I really appreciate the advice of those who work with this gear daily.
December 08, 2014 04:08PM
Thanks again for the good advice. I will abandon the idea of the PPC.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics