Congrats Nick!

Posted by Jude Cotter 
Congrats Nick!
February 26, 2015 04:56PM
Just wanted to take a moment to congratulate Nick Meyers here, for editing the recent massive hit film 'Paper Planes' here in Oz. Look out for it coming to a country near you.

Great job Nick!

video: [www.youtube.com]

Re: Congrats Nick!
February 26, 2015 04:58PM
Oh, video embedding not working properly for some reason. Still a great trailer.

February 26, 2015 05:21PM
Oh wow. Remember reading about that movie. Congrats Nick! Hope its got a US distributor. Here is link to trailer on YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

Michael Horton
-------------------
February 26, 2015 07:19PM
thanks, Jude, Michael.

the film has done amazingly well here in Aus.
and went down a treat in Tokyo, and Berlin recently.
US distributor is in the works, i'm told.

all cut in FCP7 of course, which helped no end with temping up all the FX work.
the other NLE i've used recently, Avid, is pretty hopeless in that area, from what i could tell.

nick
February 26, 2015 09:17PM
Way to go Nick...too many questions for you but I'll wait till after I see it, hopefully a U.S. release.
Well maybe one question, how long was your post schedule on it?
February 27, 2015 10:24PM
hi Joe.

luckily i was on all the way though to the end: until there was a finished master.
this is unusual in Aus these days due to budgets, but really it should be the norm.

so about 6 months

it was a weird, compressed schedule. there wasn't a lot of time to shoot it, and there wasn't a lot of time after that before delivery had to happen (for tax reasons, end of our financial year 30th June)

main shoot in Perth (most remote city in the world... hello Jude!) was nominally 5 weeks, (4weeks starting sometime in Nov 2013, with a week off for Xmas, then the last week in Jan)
but in order to get everything done, there was a second unit running the entire time,
sometimes shooting second cam, other times working as a self contained unit.
on top of that there was a 7 day pre-shoot in Tokyo (my girlfriend was shooting, i was directing!).

on a simpler shoot, i can pretty much have a rough assembly ready not too long after the shoot,
but on this, i needed an extra month to get to ready.
then to help us catch up, we brought on a second editor for 4 weeks to deal with a couple of the really big scenes.

with that push and shove, i think (and i'm guessing a bit here, it was a wile ago) we did most of the edit in 16 weeks which is the norm on the films i'm on.

so that left about 6-8 weeks for grading and sound post: not much at all.
and there had to be lee-way for a certain amount of tweaking the edit during this, as music and VFX came in.
so i was very occupied right up until the very end.

nick
February 27, 2015 10:57PM
Wow, that schedule has shades of a Movie of the Week here. Well actually a MOW schedule is a bit shorter, but they hardly do them anymore. Thanks Nick.

Michael Horton
-------------------
February 28, 2015 07:46PM
It's Australia. You can't stand still too long or the flies carry you off. tongue sticking out smiley

February 28, 2015 08:44PM
Yeah thats what I hear. That, or Drop Bears kill you.

Michael Horton
-------------------
March 01, 2015 10:27PM
Trailer looks great! Congrats
March 02, 2015 09:43AM
March 03, 2015 04:08PM
Congrats, Nick! Nice to have friends in our LAFCPUG community doing great stuff.
March 06, 2015 05:28AM
and for my LA friends, a film i cut a coupe of years ago has finally made it over there:

[touch.latimes.com]
(hope the link works)

this one was started, and in fact taken quite a long way, in Avid,
then we ported the whole film across to FCP

set in Perth, where Jude lives, the film is full of crazies, and wild and dangerous people.

nick
March 06, 2015 11:25AM
Wonderful Nick. This looks really good. Is it?

Michael Horton
-------------------
March 06, 2015 07:16PM
>>set in Perth, where Jude lives, the film is full of crazies, and wild and dangerous people.<<

Yes well, that's just Perth Nick. Should see Northbridge n Saturday night.

I didn't know you cut this one. How come you East coast guys keep stealing all our films? Eh? Eh? tongue sticking out smiley

March 07, 2015 06:43PM
Hearty congrats, Nick! Look forward to seeing this in a theater or-- and this is no longer an insult-- on NETFLIX!

On release it'd be great to have Larry and Mike interview you for BUZZ, so we get an earful of camera, format, post workflow, gotcha's etc.
March 07, 2015 06:48PM
Damn good idea Loren

Michael Horton
-------------------
March 08, 2015 06:36AM
thanks, guys.

i've been very lucky lately, getting a string of really good projects to work on.
this one, Paper Planes, and from a few years ago "The Rocket"

all were shot on Alexa, which makes great looking pictures. nicer, and more filmic, then Red, IMO.
Rocket was all Prores4444
These Final Hours, Prores4444 plus some RAW for VFX
Paper Planes was Prores4444, but this time at 2k
plus we shot the Japan footage on Red at 5k i think.

TFH had an interesting path, where we brought a whole feature film across from Avid to FCP.
all FCP7, of course, so no one will be interested, LOL!

nick
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics