What is the last version of MAC oS X which works with FCP7?

Posted by AndyC 
March 11, 2015 10:21PM

I remember I upgraded my OS X a couple of years ago, and later discovered that it no longer worked with FCP 7. I am currently at 10.9.4, kkand want to upgrade to 10.9.5 for some software.

Also, if 10.9.5 is okay to use... is there a way to just upgrade to 10.9.5 without jumping to whatever is the latest and greatest OS that Mac is currently pushing?

Thanks a bunch...

Andy
Re: What is the last version of MAC oS X which works with FCP7?
March 12, 2015 04:00AM
FWIW i'm working on a Yosemite system at the moment.
FCP7 is working ok.

i don't know how to just get 10.9.5, sorry

nick
March 12, 2015 10:29PM
LAST SUPPORTED version...10.6.8. Although it works just fine on 10.7 but starting on 10.8 to 10.10 you are getting into murky waters as those OS versions were written without support for FCP 7 taken into consideration. The later the OS version, the less reliable FCP 7 will become. 10.6 to 10.8 all installed QT7 as part of the OS. 10.9 and 10.0 only install QTX player..and that is a very stripped down, and unfinished app. The core of FCP is Quicktime, and Apple is moving away from QT and towards AV Foundation. SO, if you install FCP onto 10.9 or 10.10...it won't have QT 7 at it's core, only the sadly lacking QTX. Now, you CAN install QT 7, the downloader for it is still out there. But it, like FCP 7, was not taken into consideration when the later OSs were written. In fact, they were dismissed.

SO...you are fine up to 10.8. Past that, things get sketchy. A lot of things might not work, and what those are, are random.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
March 17, 2015 06:28AM
Shane,

That's what you wrote is only partially true.

FCP it not that old it will run as 32-bit app on any current OS X version.

FCP doesn't need to have QT Player 7 (or lower installed), nor does FCP X needs QT Player X,

Both FCP 7 and FCP X use Quicktime and both of them will do in the future. Apple's favorite codecs – the ProRes ones – are QT codecs. AVFoundation is introduced to cover all (this garbage) new camera codecs, case QT would be the wrong environment for them.

For example have a look at the last ProApps update, it was all about installing new QT codecs for FCP X - the side result was that you got a bunch of new options in FCP as well.

Some things to consider though. Running FCP and FCP X on the same system will require a different install folder for FCP, other from the "/Applications/" one you can choose for a name like "/Applications/FCPS/" or one of your choice.
You can't run both apps at the same time.
Initializing Motion on a fresh install you have to launch the old Motion first and quit it.
With Compressor old custom setting won't be recognized by the new version. You can duplicate them and change the extension to make them work.

That's more or less all you have to do to have old and new version running on the same actual system.

- Andreas

Some workflow tools for FCP [www.spherico.com]
TitleExchange -- juggle titles within FCS, FCPX and many other apps.
[www.spherico.com]
March 17, 2015 06:53PM
on top of what Andreas says, with both FCP Classic, and FCP X on a system, i have found it necessary to rename FCP itself.
i have named mine FCP 7.03.

we had it tucked away in it's own folder (Final Cut Studio), and still when FCPX was updated, we lost FCP.
(at least i'[m pretty sure this happened, we have a few people here, and it could have been some other form of operator error)

also, QuicKeys (which you know i use a lot!) got confused about which app it was supposed to be controlling,
so maybe that's why we re-named FCP.
then we had to re-assign our FCP7 macros to the newly named version.

nick
March 18, 2015 01:55AM
For example have a look at the last ProApps update, it was all about installing new QT codecs for FCP X - the side result was that you got a bunch of new options in FCP as well.

Really? Anything useful?
March 18, 2015 02:16AM
If MXF support sounds useful to you – then: Yes

- Andreas

Some workflow tools for FCP [www.spherico.com]
TitleExchange -- juggle titles within FCS, FCPX and many other apps.
[www.spherico.com]
March 18, 2015 04:35AM
i'm so out of touch..
when was this last update?

was that Pro Video Formats 2.0, from Dec 2014?
[support.apple.com]

This update includes support for the following professional video codecs:
• Apple Intermediate Codec
• Apple ProRes
• AVC-Intra
• DVCPRO HD
• HDV
• XDCAM EX / HD / HD422
• MPEG IMX
• Uncompressed 4:2:2

This update also adds the following MXF support:
• Native import, edit, and share of MXF files with Final Cut Pro X and Motion
• MXF share presets for Compressor
• MXF OP1a export
March 18, 2015 05:40AM
Yes, was that one.

- Andreas
March 18, 2015 07:20PM
ok, thanks
March 22, 2015 01:55PM
Whew! Just upgraded my test partition to Yosemite 10.2, over Mavericks 9.0 over a clone from Mountain Lion 10.7 both of which included required Quicktime components.

I agree with Shane's assessment, Yosemite it is not very QuickTime nor FCP7 friendly, although I got it to boot FCP7, I won;t be working there. Timeline stutter and other challenged behaviors. 10.7 Mountain Lion seems like the sweet spot, especially on older Mac Pro towers like my 2009 model 4,1 8-core with 24 GB RAM.

Well, that's it, I'll just have to move over to FCPX.

Not. Premiere Pro 6, the last of the shrink-wraps. Closest thing to FCP 8 I've seen. And of course the stalwart- Avid.

Not sanguine on OS X becoming iPhone interface. Think that's terribly misguided. To test, I also downloaded the 19.00 KeyNote app. This is currently a study in feature omissions from earlier versions. I can't even tap the spacebar to advance a build action. Must click. Mousepoo!

I mean, the flat Windows-like icons themselves make me retch. I want my glasslike app icons back and that's all there is to it. I want them back by the time I return from my binge of LOST on Netflix.

Nick and others who use QuicKeys as I do will be happy to know there is a simple tweak to get your 10.7 or 10.9 QuicKeys working in 10.10.

- Loren

Today's FCP7 keytip:
Set a motion effect keyframe instantly with Control-K!

Your Final Cut Studio KeyGuide™ Power Pack.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
March 23, 2015 12:36AM
hi, Loren.

i've read in a couple of place that you need to re-instal FCP after an upgrade to Yosimite.
give it another go, i'd say.

nick
March 25, 2015 12:17AM
[Loren] I agree with Shane's assessment, Yosemite it is not very QuickTime nor FCP7 friendly, although I got it to boot FCP7, I won;t be working there. Timeline stutter and other challenged behaviors. 10.7 Mountain Lion seems like the sweet spot, especially on older Mac Pro towers like my 2009 model 4,1 8-core with 24 GB RAM.

Well, that's it, I'll just have to move over to FCPX.

I think there is a common misunderstanding about QuickTime and newer OS versions, FCP etc.
If there wouldn't be QuickTime support apps like FCP X (and other NLEs) won't run. All Apple codecs are QT codecs.

So Nick's advice plus a clean install would be the best choice.

- Andreas
April 04, 2015 02:21PM
Andreas Kiel Wrote:

> So Nick's advice plus a clean install would be the
> best choice.

I thought that to clean install you need a PPC because the installer discs are not Intel native, yes?

Stefan

--
macpro 2x3 ghz dual core intel, 10.6.8, FCS 2
April 09, 2015 06:15AM
Shane is right. You must pre-install QuickTime 7 with proper installer before install Fcp Studio 2009 (Fcp7) over Mavericks or Yosemite. But things won't go smoothly anyway. (Motion 4, Compressor 3) and forget the "old" QMaster. Youre better off with Compressor 4 and "actual" QMaster anyway. Except that SD broadcast settings were lost somewhere on the road

I keep a Mountain Lion partition for the old dog.
April 24, 2015 01:02PM
I may try a clean install of FCS3 and Quicktime and giveit another go, based on what I've read here. I can aford to do it because right now, Lion 10.7 is still my working boot OS. I tend to skip an OSX version and install the next for testing. On my - God help us- 6 year old 8-core tower, I was not happy with Yosmite, as I intentionally call it.

- Loren

Today's FCP 7 keytips:
Copy clip Attributes with Command-C
Paste selected Attributes with Option-V
Remove selected Attributes with Command-Option-V !

Your Final Cut Studio 2/3 KeyGuide™ Power Pack.
Still available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
April 25, 2015 04:31PM
Followup Question 1:
Does Final Cut Studio 3 (FCP7, etc) behave when OSX is upgraded from Lion 10.7.4 to 10.7.5 ?

(earlier incorrectly called it Mountain Lion, which is 10.8)

My main reason for upgrading is Safari-- lots of sites are complaining Safari 6.0 is out of date, and I see no isolated Safari installer.

Followup Question 2:
Should the QuickTime installer be applied before this upgrade?

Thank you all.

- Loren

Today's FCP 7 keytips:
Copy clip Attributes with Command-C
Paste selected Attributes with Option-V
Remove selected Attributes with Command-Option-V !

Your Final Cut Studio 2/3 KeyGuide™ Power Pack.
Still available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
July 07, 2015 06:15PM
I edited a feature in FCP7 on Yosemite recently. Clean install OS, then QT7, then FCP. Run some ProApp updates but can't remember exactly which ones. FCP quit a couple of times during those eight weeks but otherwise it was fine.
July 13, 2015 12:32PM
How were you able to install FCP? I thought the installer would only run on OS versions that have Rosetta? I'm about to start a feature on FCP7 and I want to upgrade from my 2008 MacPro but I'm worried I'll never get FCP installed.
July 13, 2015 09:03PM
It depends on what installer you have. See [www.lafcpug.org], et seq. See also [www.lafcpug.org]. Also [www.lafcpug.org] et seq.

Dennis Couzin
Berlin, Germany
July 14, 2015 09:19AM
OS X 10.11, is the first upgrade in a long time that I'm possibly interested in as supposedly it offers performance benefits. I'm really curious to find out from others if FCP7 can run on it and if there are any issues, once it is officially released.
July 22, 2015 01:32AM
As a client of FCP 7, I called apple technical support. They were enraged that I didn't have FCP X and declined to answer my inquiry, in particular which codec to decided for a HD DV to organize. Turns out HD DVD no more exists as indicated by the stooping Apple gentleman.
bj
July 22, 2015 09:18PM
I haven't used FCP 7 in awhile and tired editing today.
Didn't get far when i tried 3 way color correction and it didn't work....
Macbook Pro 17" using 10.9.5
August 06, 2015 03:58PM
Thanks so much for this! I've been wondering if I should upgrade but I'll stay right where I am. Always a lifesaver Shane!
August 16, 2015 02:25AM
FCP 7.03 works ok for me on Yosemite 10.10.5 which was a bit of a shock. But I reckon that the end is nigh.

Nevertheless, it's entirely possible that filmman could answer this query in more vivid detail.

Hugs, Harry.
October 03, 2015 06:43PM
So here I am at the other end of the May 5th condo fire which wiped out my editing system and my home when it filled with 16" of fire department water-- my little condo is 20" below grade. I am writing up the saga as a cautionary tale for all other editors, which I hope Michael will publish here shortly.

I am glad to be alive, and to have sort of reconstituted my primary edit workstation in a rental space while my condo is torn down and rebuilt. My engine has been demoted to a 2009 4-core, running 10.7 and 10.9 from two boot partitions of a snappy SSD, which I picked up from a friend at a good price. 10.7 is what I'm working on till the insurance money allows me to buy the Howitzer Shell and Thunderbolt storage plus archive system to replace three working towers which drowned.

All to build up to this question: Software Updater wants me to apply the ProApps 2.0.3 update to 10.7. FCP 7.0.3 and FCPX 10.0.08 is installed, pretty much as recommended above, with FCS 3 in its own folder.

The details:

===
This update includes support for the following professional video codecs:

Apple Intermediate Codec
Apple ProRes
AVC-Intra
DVCPRO HD
HDV
XDCAM EX / HD / HD422
MPEG IMX
Uncompressed 4:2:2
This update also adds the following MXF support:

Native import, edit, and share of MXF files with Final Cut Pro X and Motion
MXF share presets for Compressor
MXF OP1a export
===

Geez, I just have to have professional codecs! Any gotcha's, folks?

[New KeyGuides in development, no key tips yet.]

Best, as always,
Loren
October 07, 2015 04:13PM
Loren, sorry to hear that, did you have eveything backed up?
October 18, 2015 11:26AM
Joe-

Thanks for asking. Almost everything. Had to rescue some client LaCie's. I have 18. 4 went south due to mildew/mold. One of those was rescued--over 10 years old. I attribute this outcome to storing on a cool dry shelf, and spinning them up every April 15th for a couple minutes each.

There's no question these are cheaper drives, but the real shock has been G-Tech, going downhill with an obnoxious built-in sleep cycle you cannot control. Turns timelines white if you've been inactive for only a few minutes. Energy Saver pref is useless. I've bought a few 1TB and 2TB's-- they were fine, very snappy, up till a few years ago, and good support for a stream or two of HD. Then I bought a 4TB G-RAID. Will never buy a G-tech after this. They don't respond to tech support queries nor supply any solution on their website. Their position appears to be, the problem doesn't exist. I didn't realize they'd been bought out-- I learned that from a search right here. In my view, whoever owns them now has screwed up the line for video editors. If there's been a change, somebody let me know?

Best, as always.
Loren S. Miller
October 26, 2015 10:04PM
Loren Miller, 3 October 2015
Geez, I just have to have professional codecs! Any gotcha's, folks?

I wanted ProRes XQ. It requires Mountain Lion, but should otherwise work with FCP7 and the old Compressor. The ProApps 2.0.3 update, if you unpack it, does seem to contain ProRes XQ, but this update did not make it accessible to FCP7 or Compressor. A nice weblog from Matthias Aderhold describes another way to do it, and it worked.

Dennis Couzin
Berlin, Germany
October 28, 2015 09:39PM
Thank you, dennis!

- Lo
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics