Extending freeze frame

Posted by Delphinus 
Extending freeze frame
September 08, 2015 06:34PM
Hi all: I have never had this problem before. I am bringing in a Photoshop (alpha channel) scroll for credits at the end of a show which I have done many times. This time, however, when I bring the document to the viewer I get only 12 seconds. I have gone into the User Preference/Editing tab and designated 2 minutes. Then I click OK and re-import the Photoshop document, but it is still only 12 seconds. I don't do this often enough to have it be second nature. Am i missing something here? How do I give the Viewer 2 minutes? Thanks.
Re: Extending freeze frame
September 09, 2015 10:33PM
Sorry. Forgot to add:

FCP 7
OSX 10.6.8
Macpro
2.16 GHz Intel Duo Core
September 10, 2015 08:20AM
just go to the duration field in the viewer and type in whatever you want.
should work

nick
September 10, 2015 11:29AM
That's the problem. I did that. I increased the duration to 2 minnutes, but when I import the image I still only get 12 seconds. Stumped! Do I have to re-start FCP to have it take?
September 12, 2015 09:30AM
I mean open the clip into the VIEWER,
and then type in 2 minutes in the duration field (top right)

however, it does sound as if you need to trash your preferences if they are acting up like that

nick
September 12, 2015 11:41AM
I will jump on that right away. Thanks. One more question. What exactly doesan "out of memory" pop-up mean? I have tons of memory but I now get this when rendering.
September 12, 2015 07:20PM
ok, if you get it rendering it most likely means you've got one or more very large still image files in your timeline.

huge frame sizes can choke FCP, and it helps if you make them smaller before brining them in.
for instance i've got a lot of stills in my current project. their original frame size is really big: i cant remember exactly, but one dimension was over 5000 pixels
doing a very simple reduction to 50% of their frame size (in Preview) leaves them still larger than HD, but a lot easier for FCP to handle.

sometimes FCP can deal with them, and it can help if you render them in isolation,
but just be aware that too many of them is asking for trouble.

nick
September 13, 2015 12:19PM
Nick: That was the problem. I had a jpeg at 300dpi, reduced it to 200dpi and the problem was resolved. Thanks much.
September 14, 2015 01:18AM
ah, yes, DPI.
reduce still images to 72 dpi for use in video work.

nick
September 15, 2015 02:34AM
72 dpi is too small Nick, better to have some free space for movement I find, so I use 150 to 200 ppi - unless it's a special use type still that you want to zoom into or creep around in, then just that one at 300 ppi, but rendered alone
September 15, 2015 02:51PM
Just a quick review on DPI for video. DPI or Dots per inch is a measure of image resolution designed to be significant for people making physical prints of their work. It means, as it sounds, how many little dots of ink are printed on each inch of the final medium. Obviously the more dots crammed into each inch of the picture, the sharper the reproduced picture will be.

In our video world, DPI is not as meaningful. We are a pixel based medium. Take a typical 1920x1080 HD format. That means that the image is exactly 1920 pixels wide and 1080 pixels (or lines) tall. There is no relation to the number of inches of the actual display. It doesn't matter if you view the video on your phone or on the scoreboard in Texas Stadium, it is still going to be 1920 pixels wide. Really small pixels on your phone, and really BIG pixels on the scoreboard.

The place where the confusion comes in is with the scaling function of programs like Photoshop. If you change the DPI setting, it will conform the width and height of the images. You can display the width and height information as pixels, inches, millimeters or picas. True, changing the DPI will change the size of the images. But for full control and understanding of what you are doing you should look at the the dimension of your image, in pixels.

Finally, Final Cut Pro classic editions are limited to images that are less than 4000 pixels in either dimension. That is the root of many issues like the one the OP here experienced. A bit of topic, but another thing to look out for is the color coding of your stills. CMYK images, also used in print applications, are not handled well by Final Cut either.
September 17, 2015 07:48AM
Great response,
Thanks, Vance
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics