Exporting Pro Res in Log mode?

Posted by Joe Riggs 
Exporting Pro Res in Log mode?
September 22, 2015 12:39AM
Is there a way to export pro res but in log mode from within FCP7?
Re: Exporting Pro Res in Log mode?
September 22, 2015 07:42PM
i dont quite understand the question, so maybe i'm not the one to be answering...

do you mean like camera originals before they get a LUT put on them?
i've worked with those in FCP and simply exported as-is.

nick
September 22, 2015 08:50PM
Joe's question was well-answered in a forum for colorists.

Dennis Couzin
Berlin, Germany
September 22, 2015 09:45PM
basically:

1. Do as little as possible yourself to the footage you deliver to the colourist.
that's their job.

2. Talk directly to the colourist, don't work though a 3rd party, even if it's the client.

nick
October 07, 2015 04:21PM
Well, no one really answered my question on that site, if I can export a log version from FCP7, they offered thier .02 cents on if it was worth it or not. So I'm still curious if it is possible to do so from FCP7 timeline?

To clarify I'm working with files with the color baked in (so no lut), it is possible to export a flatter version of it? i'm guessing no.
October 07, 2015 10:54PM
no.
as there's no way of knowing what exactly as done to the footage in the first place, there can be no blanket "un-grade"

you could try to approximate something "flatter"
but you'd just be doing more damage.

give the grader the least messed with material you can.

nick
October 08, 2015 01:23AM
Joe Riggs
Well, no one really answered my question on that site
Not true! Post #5 on that strand said: "You could technically use a Lin -> Log LUT to provide a simulation of Log". That's the wrong LUT, but the right idea. Post #23 described the right LUT: "As an experiment, I took an Alexa LogC ProRes 4444 clip, and created a Rec.709 ProRes HQ file from it. I then took my inverting LUT and created a LogC ProRes 4444 file from the Rec.709 file." The writer of post #23 sells LUT plugins. He even included a link to the three clips.

WHAT MORE ANSWER CAN YOU EXPECT?

You can apply LUTs in FCP7. This was discussed here two years ago. You choose (or build) the LUT when you know how your video was encoded -- what encoding function and what color space -- and also know which flavor of log you want and which color space. If you're not sure about the details, why make a mess for the colorist?

If you just want to fake the Alexa LogC encoding function without transforming color space, there's a nifty method entirely within FCP7, using no LUTs. Assuming your video was encoded per BT.709, just apply 0.23 gamma correction to it. See what you get:

Because the FCP7 gamma correction filter is screwy, it's better to use the FCP7 gamma filter set to 1/0.23 = 4.35.

Dennis Couzin
Berlin, Germany
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics