FCP 7 Render Manager will not delete render files

Posted by aliyajade 
FCP 7 Render Manager will not delete render files
January 07, 2016 10:03AM
Hi Everyone,

can anyone help-I am working on a project which keeps saying there is no room to render-going to the render manager, there are plenty of files I can delete but when I tick the Remove column, it does nothing.
I cannot continue working on my project until i can work around this. i have tried restarting, trashing the preferences etc, but no joy. I was always taught not to delete render files through the finder...

Any suggestions very welcome.
Many thanks
Aliya
Re: FCP 7 Render Manager will not delete render files
January 08, 2016 03:05PM
i haven't had problems deleting render files via the finder.
maybe it's time to give it a go.

nick
January 11, 2016 07:59PM
Thanks Aliya, for teaching me about FCP7 Render Manager. For many years I've been using Finder to remove old render files. As Nick says, it does the job. However it frequently does the job too well, so I discard render files that I need, and then must re-render.

With Render Manager, the current render files for each sequence within the currently open project are distinguished from the obsolete render files that appear in "Additional Render Files". When Render Manager says some render files are obsolete for Sequence X, it has checked that they are not needed for Sequence Y. Otherwise it gives the message:
Render Manager
Some selected files are used more than once and will not be deleted unless all their references are selected.
Then their only possible use is with an earlier state of the project, such as dug out of Autosave Vault. So they're pretty safe to discard.

Why isn't Render Manager working for Aliya? At first I ticked the head of the Remove column. No, you must tick the selected render file row in the Remove column. FCP7 Render Manager is based on old code, since it measures file sizes in the pre-Snow-Leopard way, but it works under OSX 10.6.8, 10.7.5, 10.8.5, and 10.9.5. I didn't check later OSXs.

Dennis Couzin
Berlin, Germany
January 12, 2016 05:34AM
Maybe my OS is the problem! I have 10.10-a nightmare every since I upgraded to be honest.
That may well the the route of all my problems.
anyone else have massive problems with Mavericks?
Thanks
January 12, 2016 07:25PM
other things to look at:

where are you rendering to? is it perhaps the system drive?
or a drive you don't have permissions to?

do you have another drive you can use as a render drive?

why not just delete from the finder?

nick
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics