Need color corrector help

Posted by stefangs 
Need color corrector help
March 08, 2016 07:49AM
Hi guys,

I've shot something with 3 cams. The colors are so different, it's not even funny. I've attached a screen shot of a matching frame from C1 which I think is decent:

Here is the same frame OOC from C2 (which I suppose is inferior in quality to begin with) with blowouts and everything:

And with some correction using the color corrector 3way (which is a wee bit better, but still awful). I've tried matching colors on the not-blown-out part of the cheek, on the cap, and the shirt. I also reduced saturation and highlights:

Is there anything else you can suggest so the guy doesn't look like a zombie on its last leg?

Thanks,
Stefan

--
macpro 2x3 ghz dual core intel, 10.6.8, FCS 2
Re: Need color corrector help
March 08, 2016 02:03PM
have you tried "Captain's Blow-out fixer"?
could help a little

his skin tone looks like it needs bit more yellow, and/or a touch more saturation (to match the other shot)

other than that, just don't use a lot of that angle!
you're up agains it with that footage.

cheers,
nick
March 09, 2016 04:59AM
Nick,

I do have the blow-out-fixer. I'll give it a try, although it's not so much the blown out part that bothers me (well, that too), but the different color. It's almost like a mapped color table. In a static image I'd probably try curves, but I don't think there's such a thing in FCPs tool box.

Yes, I'm already using very little of that camera, but I do need to use some, otherwise I can't edit out portions smoothly.

Thanks,
Stefan

--
March 09, 2016 05:50AM
Nick, adding more yellow, some blowout fixer, and also the great Lyric shadow-highlight makes the clip not exactly great, but quite acceptable for the casual viewer (the target group).

Now I don't see a way to copy this plugin-chain to the entire angle. I have already made most of my edits and it looks like I have to apply everything for each cut to C2 individually. Do you know how to apply it to the entire angle?

Thanks,
Stefan

--
March 10, 2016 09:08PM
Hi Stephan.

so it's a multiclip?
when you drag filter onto multiclips, just hold for a while before you drop them.
you get an option to "apply to angle"
but i don't think it does what you are hoping it does, which is to then apper in all instances of that angel used in the edit.
(maybe it does, but i don't think so)

what it does is make it so you can switch to the other angle, then back, and not lose the filter.
mutliclips are very volatile like that and their normal behavior is to lose any effects once you switch away from an angle.

one thing you can do is to copy the clip,
then do a search in the timeline for that angles name, and then "Find All"
and then Option Command V t paste attributes : Filters

this will give you the volatile behavior mentioned above, but maybe that's ok under the circumstances.

cheers,
nick
March 11, 2016 11:32AM
Thanks Nick, I had forgotten about the 'paste attributes' function. That will do.

Stefan

--
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics