Reconnect media woes

Posted by deaconchill 
Reconnect media woes
March 14, 2016 04:44PM
Hi legacy wizards,

I am trying to help two of my MFA students resolve a reconnect media issue. The students duplicated their project files and media onto a second drive so they could both work on some of the scenes for their film. The problem occurred when one of the students, using the duplicated drive, attempted to reconnect the project media. FCP (v 7.0.3) could not "locate" the clips and subsequently could not reconnect the media even though the students swear the file structure on both the drives is absolutely the same. The one student has no issues with the project but his drive is the one where the project was created.

My guess is that when they ingested their media and created their bins, file names, etc., something must have changed. Any thoughts on why this might be happening? The problems files are all AVCHD if that is of any import to you. Thanks so much for your help.
Re: Reconnect media woes
March 14, 2016 05:01PM
"FCP (v 7.0.3) could not "locate" the clips"

don't use Locate, use Search.
Locate means you have to find the clips manually.

the real trick to using duplicate drives is to give the drives identical names.
Same drive name, and same file path means that FCP will reconnect instantly
nevertheless, even if the drive names are different, a simple search from the reconnect window, should find the files easily,
especially if you tell it to "Search Single Location" and point it at the specific drive.

"The problems files are all AVCHD"
well FCP doesn't work with those.
they need to be converted to Prores, via the Log and Transfer window

[documentation.apple.com]

hope that helps,
nick
March 15, 2016 11:40AM
Thanks, Nick. I should have been more detailed in my post. I have used both Locate and Search. I have also tried single drive, etc. I do know that the hard drive names are different. I think the issue is the way the media was ingested and named. There does not seem to be a link between the two drives.
March 15, 2016 07:50PM
as i said that format is not supported, so maybe this will never work.
do the files work in on the one system, then not on the other when attempting a reconnect?

you could try this test:
make a copy of a project,
take the files offline manually: select them in Final Cut Pro, then Shift+D, to open the Make Offline window, use the default "leave them on the disk" of course.
attempt to reconnect.

does that work or not?
maybe that file format can't be reconnected at all!

it might be simpler if the students were posting directly, rather than going through you.

nick
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics