Promise Pegasus R4 & Yosemite 10.10.5 beachballs after 10 mins of use.
April 05, 2016 10:53PM
Hi Folks,

Trouble here. Running my Promise Pegasus R4 on OS X 10.10.5. At start-up, all's well. About 10-15 mins in, Finder starts beach balling for 10+ mins. I often use Finder to look through the clips organized on the Pegasus, then will click through column view on a Finder window, get to the clip I want to check, scrub through it (two-finger, touch pad-style), then go through a few more clips. At about the 10+ min mark, everything hangs-up finder. About 4TB of project material is highly tagged.

SYSTEM:
OSX 10.10.5, Late '11 17" MBP, 2.5GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB 1333 MHz DDR3, Intel HD Graphics 3000
Promise Pegasus R4 RAID 5 12TB (16GB, 4 Promise-approved 4TB drives)

WHAT I THOUGHT IT WAS:
Tags. I have a lot of tags on my media, and I did see that users were experiencing problems with tags accumulating in Finder's sidebar in OS 10.10.3 - .5, allegedly producing massive hang times, like this, so...

I was getting to the end of prep for cutting and, after having tagged so much, it was taking Finder a few beats after I'd close multiple windows of open clips that I'd tagged (by copying/pasting to members of sets of clips).

WHAT I TRIED in OS X:
*trashing Finder's plist, Finder's sidebar plist, reboot
*remove side bar view in Finder, reboot
*remove many tags, reboot
*repair permissions, reboot

WHAT I TRIED W/ PROMISE PEGASUS R4
*try different thunderbolt cables
*try different thunderbolt ports
*update Promise R series firmware to v 3.18.0000.36
*update Promise Utility
*try the Pegasus R4 on an OS 10.7.5 system, different machine, same result, approx 10 mins in
*talk to Promise tech support, submit subsystem info, which showed all drives working great, and nothing remarkable going on as far as the report goes.

This ONLY happens on my Promise Pegasus R4, no other drives produce these results.

It seems like something crazy's going on between Yosemite and Promise, tags and Yosemite, the Promise and Tags, t+Y+P= I don't know. Any ideas, dear people, will be warmly appreciated.

Thanks,
UL
J.Oak
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics