crop at an angle

Posted by JayG0413 
crop at an angle
March 02, 2017 10:35AM
Good morning!

Wondering if anyone knows a way to crop at an angle in FCP 7. I'm overlaying lower thirds that have an angular straight edge. Often the names/titles are way shorter than the backplate, so I'd like to crop off the edge of the backplate but maintain the angle.

Is there a simple way to do this using FCP native effects?

Thank you!
Re: crop at an angle
March 02, 2017 01:52PM
The computers I have in front of me right now don't have FCP Classic on them. As I recall the 4 point or 16 point garbage matte might help you out.

-V
March 02, 2017 03:19PM
Thanks V. I thought I might be able to achieve it with one of the garbage mattes. But so far no luck trying. I'll keep tinkering with those settings.
March 03, 2017 05:01PM
Make some black slug, put it on a track over the picture, and in its Motion tab rotate it, scale it up, and recenter it till it's as you want. (Same is achievable using Distort in the slug's Motion tab, changing just the second entries for each of Upper Left and Upper Right.) If the black is too black reduce opacity in the Motion tab, or else change the slug's color using the left circle in Color Corrector 3-way.

Dennis Couzin
Berlin, Germany
March 13, 2017 03:57AM
hi Jay.

the 4pt Garbage mate should do the trick. i wonder what's not working for you?

another "cheat" approach could be to double the back plate up onto another track,
move it back to where you want it to end,
and crop both it and the lower one so it seems like one item again.
IF it's design allows for that, of course.

nick
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics