mp4 video, 29.97 fps with every fifth frame duplicated
May 25, 2017 12:26PM
Is there a way of changing this to 23.976 and removing the dupe frames in Compressor? Using the Reverse Telecine option leaves in the dupe frames.

Thanks!
Re: mp4 video, 29.97 fps with every fifth frame duplicated
May 27, 2017 08:18PM
If you need to remove every fifth frame, yes, you can do this in Compressor.

The surest path is to quit NTSC-based speeds for the operation. Use Cinema Tools or (my preference) QT Edit to conform what you believe is your 29.97 fps video to 30 fps.

Compressor just counts, it doesn't analyze, the frames, so you must make your duplicated frames occur at the right places. Your video starts in one of these five ways:
  1. A,A,B,C,D,E,E,F,G,H, ...
  2. A,B,B,C,D,E,F,F,G,H, ...
  3. A,B,C,C,D,E,F,G,G,H, ...
  4. A,B,C,D,D,E,F,G,H,H, ...
  5. A,B,C,D,E,E,F,G,H,I, ...
Check which way your video is. Compressor will want the video to be either way 2 or way 3 in order to do the removals. If your video is way 1, then add 1 initial dummy frame. If your video is way 4 or way 5, then add 3 initial dummy frames. Or, if you're willing to sacrifice initial frames, you can set the in-point in Compressor so your video becomes way 2 or way 3.

Import the 30 fps video to Compressor, choose a low-loss ProRes codec, and in Inspector>Encoder>Video Settings>Frame Rate choose 24 fps. Also in Inspector>Frame Controls make sure that Rate Conversion is set to Fast (Nearest frame).

Compressor will generate a 24 fps video without the offending duplicate frames. If you really want 23.976 fps video, you can conform again.

I've only tested this method on short clips. It's possible that Compressor's arithmetic is imperfect and also possible that your duplicate frames aren't perfectly regular. So spot check the result though its length.

Dennis Couzin
Berlin, Germany
May 27, 2017 10:22PM
its not really my area, but for revere televise to work you'd need to see repeated FIELDS, not whole frames.

it's relatively easy to remove every 5th frame:

put your video in a new timeline.
on a track above it, put 4 frames of slug, followed by 1 frame of text
copy that, and paste it so you have 2 instances of it,
then copy and paste that so you've got 8 instances,
etc, etc.
pretty soon you'll have the entire timeline covered.

do a search in the timeline for "slug", find all, and delete.
select all the remaining 1 frame text clips, and holding shift, drag them down, to delete all your duplicate frames.
now delete the text clips while they are still selected.

select all in your timeline, drag to the canvas, drop into the over-right window.
that'll edit all the individual clips back into the timeline with no gaps.

nick
May 28, 2017 09:53AM
Nick: that is a gorgeous method. I, for one, didn't know that it was possible to:
Nick Meyers
do a search in the timeline for "slug"
Also I was amazed by the move:
Nick Meyers
select all in your timeline, drag to the canvas, drop into the over-right window
Thank you for having learned these operations of FCP7 and showing them.

Dennis Couzin
Berlin, Germany
May 30, 2017 04:34PM
Dennis
Thank you for having learned these operations of FCP7 and showing them.

my pleasure smiling smiley
June 06, 2018 11:36PM
Hi Nick

I saw your post and it relates directly to an issue I am facing. The video file I am working with is 29.97i but every fifth frame is a duplicate - it is the actual frame that is duplicated and not the field as you said. So not a straight forward telecine.

Anyway, your solution to removing every 5th frame sounds great. I tried it in Premier but got stuck at "select all in your timeline, drag to the canvas, drop into the over-right window.
that'll edit all the individual clips back into the timeline with no gaps."
May I ask if you know how to do this in Premiere?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics