it's official - FCP7 won't launch in High Sierra

Posted by Nick Meyers 
it's official - FCP7 won't launch in High Sierra
August 23, 2017 07:13PM
[support.apple.com]

if you want to keep working in FCP7 (or under) the obvious solution is to NOT go to high sierra.

for what i do, i've had fairly stable FCP behaviour in all OS's up to Yosemite.
only major gotcha for me has been the colour picker stopped fully working in Mavericks.
i haven't used FCP7 in Sierra, so can't comment.

cheers,
nick
Re: it's official - FCP7 won't launch in High Sierra
August 23, 2017 07:27PM
End of an era. On to Vegas Pro!

Michael Horton
-------------------
August 24, 2017 01:32PM
The Apple announcement at Nick's link doesn't quite imply that FCP7 won't launch in High Sierra.* Some brave soul can install the High Sierra beta and see if FCP7 can be installed and then run. (Brave because High Sierra brings a new file system, and I wouldn't put it past Apple to change, perhaps irreversibly, more than the volume on which you install High Sierra.)

Anyhow, if FCP7 is incompatible with High Sierra, that itself doesn't make FCP7 obsolete. I hold the minority view that FCP7 doesn't work perfectly on any OSX beyond Lion (10.7.5). Please read [www.lafcpug.org], and what it links to. This was my experience on my hardware. ("Work perfectly" means as perfectly as FCP7 can work.) There are problems accompanying running FCP7 on the old operating system (10.7.5). There are obvious problems with communications. There aren't up-to-date browsers, required by many websites, that run on the old system. Other software and hardware I wish to interface with FCP7 doesn't run on the old system. When it's time to replace my computer, the new one probably won't run the old operating system. In this way FCP7 is bonded to my mid-2012 Mac Pro. And the computer is bonded to the monitor via the color calibration software (which is so funky that I dare not update it), an ecosystem that is not forever.

The above describes accidental obsolescence. FCP7 faces essential obsolescence when it can't edit what or how it needs to edit. This depends, respectively, on how video technology and video editing style evolve. We will each see this differently.

Dennis Couzin
Berlin, Germany

*[Note added 29 August 2017] There was an Apple email notification to some users that said it:

Dear ---:

Our records show that you may be using applications included in Final Cut Studio. We wanted to share some important compatibility information about these applications and macOS High Sierra, which will be available this fall.

Older versions of Apple pro video applications — including applications in Final Cut Studio — will not launch on a computer running macOS High Sierra.

New versions of Apple pro video applications — including Final Cut Pro X, Motion 5, and Compressor 4 — are compatible with macOS High Sierra. You can purchase these applications on the Mac App Store.

You can learn about the transitioning from older versions of Final Cut Pro to Final Cut Pro X here.

For more information about compatibility of Apple pro applications on macOS High Sierra, please view this support article.

Sincerely,

Apple
September 03, 2017 06:44PM
Denis
The Apple announcement at Nick's link doesn't quite imply that FCP7 won't launch in High Sierra....
.... *[Note added 29 August 2017] There was an Apple email notification to some users that said it

ah, i had a tiny bit of hope there for a minute smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics