Best replacement for FCP

Posted by Ian Oliver 
Best replacement for FCP
October 17, 2017 08:19PM
I'd be grateful for advice. Stupidly made the fatal error of upgrading to High Sierra and can't downgrade.

Need to find a good editor, but can't seem to get on with FCP X. Many seem to have many bells and whistles, but I can't find one that has the trim facility of FCP - playing through an edit and trimming it while it plays.

Does any other (not outrageously priced) editor have anything like it?

Thanks in advance.
Re: Best replacement for FCP
October 20, 2017 06:51AM
Avid has a fantastic trim window, better than FCP's but my guess is you are talking about timing in the timeline.
My disinter memory or Lightworks was that it's trimming was extremely versatile

i wish i could help, but i haven't used many other apps!

Premiere is supposed to be a lot like FCP. wether it has that same facility i don't know.
Resolve is free, so it would definitely fit your not-outrageously priced requirement!
(although "free" is pretty outrageously priced in the other direction)

i guess you'll l have to try them all, or get better help...
please write back with your findings smiling smiley

nick
Re: Best replacement for FCP
November 06, 2017 06:27AM
What Nick says.

I can add that, after an entire 4 months using Premiere Pro CC in the real world, it's extraordinarily flexible, and yes, it does feature dynamic trim, multicam editing, and nonstandard video exports. My museum assignment required not only standard HD but also video wall sectional exports and very large vertical screens at high bandwidth using the new HEVC (H.265)- which is part of Premiere's kit.

I was nervous about how well Premiere would consolidate a project.
It went like butter.

The only hassles I had (other than how to best export HD sections for a 2 X 3 video array) were PPro's occasional crash due to linking and relinking issues. This could easily have been operator error.

As I've remarked elsewhere, it really is the closest product to FCP8. You just need US$600/year to enjoy it along with every other product Adobe offers. I still think we need a focused video bundle, say PPro, AE, PS, and Audition, for half that price. That should go like hotcakes!

Adobe bundles an FCP 7 key command set with PPro CC which meets your expectations about halfway. I filled the rest with lesser known actual or near equivalents, and it's about 85% of the feel of FCP7.

I'm happy to announce (shameless plug) I will by year's end be fashioning a Pro CC Keyguide especially for FCP7 veterans making the transition. A download of the Adobe keyset reflected in the guide will be part of the price.

My old website needs a relocation so it'll be direct purchase to me via PayPal and through LACPUG if Michael wants it in the tools section.

Best, as always.
Loren S. Miller
neotron@mindspring.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics