Export still frame

Posted by stefangs 
Export still frame
November 12, 2017 08:25AM
Hi all,

I'm trying to export a still frame from my timeline, but I only get the source footage without any effects applied. I tried both the 'make freeze frame' and export with quicktime conversion options.

Where's the right command?

Thanks,
Stefan

--
macpro 2x3 ghz dual core intel, 10.6.8, FCS 2
Re: Export still frame
November 13, 2017 05:22AM
that should work
maybe trashing preferences could help?

otherwise, export a small section, re-import it, and make the stills from that.

nick
November 15, 2017 09:21AM
Yes, I ended up importing a rendered snip. At least I know that in theory it should work.

Thanks Nick,
Stefan

--
macpro 2x3 ghz dual core intel, 10.6.8, FCS 2
November 20, 2017 10:59PM
I'm having the same issues myself now.

so maybe i remember the behaviour incorrectly
i didnt stop to analyse it, but from memory *some* attributes were kept in the still, and some (grades for instance) were not.

OR maybe it's just broken overall.
which version of FCP are you using , and what's your OS?
im FCP7 under Yosemite, so there could be some incompatibility.

nick
November 22, 2017 03:09PM
Stefan is using FCS2, which came with FCP6, under OSX Snow Leopard. I don't have a FCP6 installation to try, but when using FCP7 under either Snow Leopard, Lion, Mountain Lion or Mavericks, stills exported from a ProRes timeline have almost all their effects attributes. One apparent attribute that does not export is the black that partly surrounds a rotated or shrunk image. It becomes grey in the still. It's grey also if the timeline is rendered. To make it black requires exporting the sequence and then exporting the still from that.

Dennis Couzin
Berlin, Germany
November 22, 2017 03:49PM
Dennis
but when using FCP7 under either Snow Leopard, Lion, Mountain Lion or Mavericks, stills exported from a ProRes timeline have almost all their effects attributes

so you are getting colour corrections in your stills?

Dennis
To make it black requires exporting the sequence and then exporting the still from that.

of laying some slug or Colour generator underneath it?

nick
November 23, 2017 06:31AM
nick, yes the stills have the same color correction as was applied to the clip.
I only tested Color Corrector 3-Way. Conceivably other color filters don't behave.

Yes, there might be a layering way to make the surround "really black" instead of "no-color". Just that it appeared black in the FCP canvas but grey in the exported still was a shocker.

Dennis Couzin
Berlin, Germany

Notes added same day:
I checked some other color filters, including LUT-applying plugins. The exported stills had the applied colors. This is with FCP 7.0.3 running under OSX 10.7.5 (which I regard as the last fully compatible operating system).

I regard the black-to-grey phenomenon as a bug. A background color is part of the frame. I'd hope the canvas to show it truly, but whatever it is, black or grey, it should be that both when exported using QuickTime Conversion to movie or to still.
November 27, 2017 01:45PM
To export a still I invoke Export with Quicktime Conversion, which includes several choices in the bottom popup menu. I choose Still Image, then drill down to choose which type: PNG, TIFF, JPEG, etc.

I've never had to go through a sequence export, but I do recall when exporting 480i in TIFF I had to bring the export into Photoshop to correct for pixel aspect ratio, usually changing the height to 540 from an NTSC export.

Ah, we miss those days... when eggs were circles and wagon wheels were squashed...or vice versa.

Best, as always.
Loren

Today's FCP7 Keytip:
You'll find it in Premiere Pro CC!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics