film look

Posted by Jason Epperson 
film look
July 23, 2001 11:08AM
<HTML>I've seen it discussed in the forum several times, but I didn't need the information then, I need it now. How is the best way to get a film look from fcp2, I shot my footage with a GL1.</HTML>
Re: film look
July 23, 2001 12:18PM
<HTML>There are a few articles on this web page that speak to different types of lenses that can give you a film look even before you get to fcp2. Also there are a couple articles on things you can use within fcp2 to get that look. I don't know exactly where they are but their probably under articles or discussions somewhere.

Mike Hart</HTML>
July 23, 2001 01:22PM
<HTML>The are some other good articals also over at 2-pop.com. They will explain exactly how to do it. Also look under the features and tutorials section here a LAFCPUG. I hope I have been some help.

Ruben</HTML>
July 23, 2001 01:52PM
<HTML>[www.lafcpug.org]

Duplicating the video on 2 tracks and adjusting the opacity of one track works really well.

mike</HTML>
July 24, 2001 11:11AM
<HTML>kenstone.net - download his silk stocking and film grain filters. I've used them both many times when I need a quick film look. Also there are a few filters out there that work well for the Cannons.. the article may also be at Ken Stones web site.

D</HTML>
what about software?
July 26, 2001 01:36PM
<HTML>I used the FilmFX program/plug in for Premiere for the past two years which was great. Now I'm on Final Cut, I'm looking for a similar piece of software, rather than a 'quick fix' thing. I've searched the internet for the past hour with absolutely no luck. Any ideas?</HTML>
Re: what about software?
July 26, 2001 01:40PM
<HTML>I will keep looking myself. Let me know if u find anything that has not be mentioned above. I do the same.

Dave</HTML>
July 28, 2001 04:49PM
<HTML>Cinelook matches film stocks very nicely. You can also (Laboriously) speed up the footage and re-interploate it back down to sort of match a 3:2 pulldown. (200%>50%=orig speed footage OR 400%>25%=orig. speed footage) then you can do an opactiy blend over original clip to get a cool llook. There is also a new de-interlacing plug-in from the Shape/Shade company(can't think at the moment). Never used it though.
G'luck
Tom</HTML>
July 30, 2001 11:58AM
<HTML>Although some of the tips above have been impressive for what they accomplish, the tips I'm looking for is to match the rich colors of 16mm, or possibly software that can do this. A plug-in straight to FCP instead of After Effects would be nice, but surprisingly I don't think it exists.</HTML>
<HTML>Not going to happen I'm afraid Matt. Video is Video and all we do it will NOT give you what you are looking for, cinelook not withstanding. There is something called the Magic Bullet which is a propietary process done over at the (damn, I can't remember the name) Search the feature articles over at 2-pop. Anyway, that'll cost ya big bucks I'm afraid.

mike</HTML>
<HTML>Matt, What you want is totally possible, however you should plan on doing it in After Effects. There are several plug-ins including Cinemotion and Cinelook from Digieffects. The best tool out there is FilmFX from bigfx.com, however its PC only at the moment. They tell me a FCP version is due soon. It has presets galore including all the major filmstocks from 8mm to 35mm plus some FX presets. It can be tricky and requires a lot of trial and error to get the right look, buy it renders multiple times faster than the Digieffect products (which need desperately to be updated for the G4),

Lance

email me for complete details or help in achieving the look you want.</HTML>
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics