Work-arounds for dropped frames

Posted by Leo Ticheli 
<HTML>Here's the problem:You hit the previous frame button a few times (or scroll backwards in the time-line) and then hit play. You get the dropped frame alert every time. This occurs in both the Viewer and the Canvas. I have found four work-arounds, none of which are entirely acceptable:
1. Turn off external video (the NTSC monitor) while you edit and turn it back on only to play the sequence for the client. This works 100% of the time, but is difficult with multiple clients in the room.
2. Turn off video mirroring to the desktop. Some have reported that they like this way of working; I hate it and worse it often does not work all the time.
3. After using the previous frame button, toggle the Viewer/Canvas, play for a couple of seconds, toggle again and hit play. This works almost all the time, but even an unsophisticated client is bound to ask you what the devil you are doing with all those extra key strokes.
4. After using the previous frame button, move the point to a place past where you started and hit play. This works some of the time; again, extra key strokes and frequent failures.
I can tell you, your credibility drops like the Titantic after a the dropped frame alert pops up more than once and the client is prone to run screaming back to the cosy confines of the Avid suite.
A frequently suggested "fix" is to turn off the preference for dropped frame alerts. All this does is give you jerky playback and system freezes leading to total lockups.</HTML>
<HTML>Hi Leo,

May I ask what size your Canvas and Viewer windows are set to? They both should be set to 'fit to window' or smaller. Also check to make sure that no windows are overlapping.

--ken

www.kenstone.net</HTML>
<HTML>Thanks Ken,
I have tried every size for the viewer and canvas; fit to window, 100%, 50%, fit all... you name it. No, I don't allow my window to overlap.
I am told that this is an Apple QuickTime problem, however I have been told by a user with both Digital Voodoo and Aurora that he does not get the dropped frames with Aurora. Further, the problem vanishes when I turn off external video. Perhaps the Apple problem only shows up with Digital Voodoo cards?
Please other users of uncompressed cards, let us know your experience with this issue. Thanks for the help!</HTML>
<HTML>You've probably done this but check to see if there is a couple RADDV extensions in your extesions folder. If there is, trash em.

mike</HTML>
<HTML>Thanks, Michael. Yes, I have already checked for the offending extensions. Since you asked this question, am I to infer that you Are able to backspace and then play without dropping frames using uncompressed video? This would be great news for me; what kind of card are you using? Thanks for the help!</HTML>
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics