After Effects plug-ins

Posted by David Barker 
After Effects plug-ins
June 29, 2001 04:24PM
<HTML>I cannot get the After Effect plug-ins to load into FCP 2.0. I had the same problem with FCP 1.25. I have tried every which way, but to no avail. The best I can get is after copying the AE filters into the FCP Plugins folder and launching FCP is to get an error message saying FCP cannot find "name of the plug-in" and would I like to search for it in a different location. Then I have to cancel out of each missing plug-in, since even if I point to it, FCP doesn't recognize it. When FCP has opened, the Video Filters menu will list AE filters, but all of the plug-ins are grayed out. I have talked to two other people who have had the same experience and no luck. I have not seen anything on the Apple FCP Support site that addresses this issue. Thanks.</HTML>
<HTML>The problem is that FCP supports only CERTAIN AE plug-ins. What they are I don't know and there is no list yet so thus the only solution here is to exprt a FCP reference movie to AE and do your thing in AE and export back to FCP. Sucks, I know, but Apple needs to document what AE plug ins work and they haven't done that yet.

mike</HTML>
<HTML>
Thanks for the info. Apparently it will load NONE of AE standard plug-ins. This is very bad since they tell you that AE plug-ins are supported. I hope everyone who uses FCP and AE bombards Apple with e-mail alerting them to correct this problem. I know I am.

David</HTML>
On Apple Web site.
July 01, 2001 01:18AM
<HTML>Apple gives a list of the FCP compatible AE plug-in in the FCP pages of its web site.

Only a few are compatible. Boris FX, Boris Graffiti, Boris Script, Hollywood FX. They actually work in FCP.

I do not remember if there are others.</HTML>
Re: On Apple Web site.
July 01, 2001 02:33PM
<HTML>If NONE ofthe AE plug ins work then there is a problem. SOME of the standard plug ins work, I just don't know which ones. Not sure what might be the problem though.

mike</HTML>
July 03, 2001 07:11AM
<HTML>Hemo:

If you have the address for the plug-in compatibility, I'd be much obliged if you could post that. I cannot be absolutely sure, but it seemed to me that every single standard AE plug-in (filter) on AE 5.0 was non-functional in FCP 2.0. I do have Boris Red 2.0 unloaded, so that may be of some help. Thanks for your post.

David Barker
david@video-propulsion.com</HTML>
July 03, 2001 08:28AM
<HTML>I am sorry, but I cannot find any more the small list of compatible AE plug-ins that was in the right column of the FCP effects pages. I had found in in the time of FCP 1.2.5, and the web site have been modified since...

I can only find today, in the tech spec page, this very small phrase : "Support for qualified third-party After Effects plug-ins, including Ultimatte, Boris, and Cinelook". It is very short :-(
And only third -party effects, not Adobes'.

I can only say today that Boris FX 5 pro works, as Boris Graffiti and Hollywood FX. I have tried them, and I had found the information about them on Apple FCP web page about effects.

It seems that Knoll Lense Flare works too.

Maybe Apple does not talk a lot about the After Effects third-party Plug-in compatibility because it is a lack of FCP.

And FCP already have effects.

I hope that, in the future, developpers will produce specifics plug-in for FCP.</HTML>
July 03, 2001 10:11AM
<HTML>Thanks for the info. I guess I ASSUMED that when Apple said that FCP would import 3rd party AE filters, that meant any AE filter would be compatible. Another classic case of hearing from the Marketing dept. what I wanted to hear. :-(</HTML>
<HTML>FYI,
FCP 2.0 supports most, if not all, AE plugins that do not need to draw in the canvas window (that is, the plugins that don't need user interface widgets that draw on the image being processed).... and that is quite a few! I work a plug-in developer company (RE:Vision Effects, Inc.), so I'm interested in making sure that FCP works as advertised!

>The best I can get is after copying the AE filters into the FCP Plugins >folder and launching FCP is to get an error message saying FCP cannot >find "name of the plug-in" and would I like to search for it in a different >location. Then I have to cancel out of each missing plug-in, since even <if I point to it, FCP doesn't recognize it.

For those of you having this problem I suggest the following: remove the file "Final Cut Pro MOA Cache" from the folder "System Foldertongue sticking out smileyreferences:Final Cut Pro Data" (I'm 99% sure this won't mess with any preferences or setups that you have... but you might wish to save this file somewhere for a couple of days before deleting it).

What this will do, among other things, is reset where FCP thinks the AE plugins live.

Pete Litwinowicz
pete.l@revisionfx.com</HTML>
<HTML>Cool idea Pete. Thanks
And I LOVE Twixtor

mike</HTML>
<HTML>I have made a try with some AE plug-ins like Emboss and others.

The problem is not that FCP cannot find the plug-ins, because in this case he asks you to give him the directory.

The problem is that even when you have given him the location of the plug-in, he cannot load it.

The name of the plug-in appears in the effect window of the browser, but you cannot use it.
When you try, a message shows in white on red :"After effects error, the plug-in could not be loaded", or something like that.

And this is like this for all the ordinary AE plug-ins, included production bundle.

And with third-party plug-ins like Boris, wich have their own interface, it works. The interface launches above FCP's one, and disappears when the work is done and you quit.

It seems that plug-ins have to be made specifically for FCP.</HTML>
<HTML>>I have made a try with some AE plug-ins like Emboss and others.

>The problem is not that FCP cannot find the plug-ins, because in this case he asks you to give him the directory.

>The problem is that even when you have given him the location of the plug-in, he cannot load it.

Okay, I didn't realize *which* plugins you were trying to load. Again, I'm really motivated to clear up misconceptions about what FCP supports and what it doesn't. It *does* support After Effects plugins (and *many* of them, by the way).

However, *Adobe* is also motivated to not have their plugins work in other applications (they want you to buy their applications, not others!). So I suspect they are using the information that they are running inside of FCP and telling FCP that they can't load.

I repeat MANY PLUGINS, LIKE OURS, DO NOT HAVE TO BE SPECIFICALLY ENGINEERED TO RUN INSIDE OF FCP. To be sure, there are features of AE plugins that FCP does not support (like plugins that need to get mouse clicks or draw on the image being processed). However, the plugin is told which application it is running inside of, and the plugin can turn on/off features if it wants, based on this information. Obviously, the Adobe plugins are using this information to make sure their plugins only run inside of Adobe applications.

Try putting other 3rd party plugins inside of FCP plugins folder (like the demo versions of our plugins) and you'll see that they work. And the same ones work inside of After Effects, Premiere 6.0, Commotion and Combustion.

Pete</HTML>
Third-party AE plug-in
July 09, 2001 01:51PM
<HTML>In fact, it is told in FCP help that this software supports thir-party AE plug-in, not Adobes'.

It actually works with Boris, Hollywood FX, and certainly others that I don't know.

There is a confusion when Apple talks about the FCP support for AE plug-in. It is possible to believe that it works with those given in Adobe AE, and this is no true.

Maybe Adobes' are "protected" against an use with other softwares. It is an explanation.</HTML>
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics