Field Dominance Problems???

Posted by Dave Tipold 
Hello all,
I am using a G5, 2 GB Ram, Internal and External Hard Drives...
Importing DVCAM footage from a Sony VX-2000. Video was shot at 29.97 fps, 10000 shutter speed. I am trying to edit video to look at fast moving video and slowing it down (actually only needing 5 - 10 frames out of every video clip (10 - 20 seconds). I captured the DV video with FCP4 and edited the video. Then rendered out the portions that I slowed down to 5% speed. The video looks great in the canvas / viewer. It looks very distorted / artifacting in my NTSC Preview/Program monitor. The video appears to have a field dominance issue on my monitor, but not when viewing the timeline on my computer screen. The capture is set to lower field dominance, which matches the DV camera (i believe). My goal is to export to DSP3. I have exported the clip as QT (self contained and ref files), exported thru Compressor (matching field dominance), etc... All with the same result. Does anyone have a suggestion. Should I try to recapture the original DV footage. Is there a better setting to capture with? Sorry for all of the questions and rambling post, but I am truely stumped on this one. Thanks in advance for an input or advice. Let me know if you need more info. Welcome any off forum suggestion too.

Best wishes,
Dave
Re: Field Dominance Problems???
May 02, 2005 11:40PM
Your problem is that what you are trying to do is get FCP to generate 5 or 6 frames from the difference between two fields, or an inter frame break. It's like adding a dropper of paint to a gallon of thinner and wondering why the new color doesn't cover the old.

You need Red or Magic Bullet. Both work with optical flow technology designed to track pixel vectors and generate motion clouds.

We are talking a long render, and some serious tweaking to mask things for temporal analysis by the filters, but the results are miraculous.

Don't waste your time a second longer trying to bull through. You won't be able to.

Ian
May 03, 2005 01:57AM
Dave writes off line -
" I am trying to look at a slicing action of one of our machines and as food
product drops through it (traveling at over 130 feet a second) the action
is action only occuring over 5 or 6 frames of video. These frames need to
be saved as stills and slowed down to demonstrate product
tracking/movement. "

This is exactly what you can get with the OGL filter in Red or Magic Bullet.

Ian
May 03, 2005 12:57PM
AFAIK, MB doesn't do nice smooth slomos, But Boris Opical Flow and Twixtor do, and do it well.

Graeme

[www.nattress.com] - Plugins for FCP-X
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics