SAN solutions - Who's using what?

Posted by Benjamin 
I'd like those who have been using SAN solutions for 4:4:4 uncompressed HD with multiple seats to weigh in on how it is working for them. Of course there's Apple's certified solution of XSan with Xserve Raids via fiber with a seperate copper network for the metadata. If you're using that, please weigh in. But XSan is also used in other SAN solutions, and then there might be some other San solutions for HD in FinalCutPro as well.

Main questions I have are:

What file system does it use? File level vs. volume level vs. cluster file system. What are the pros and cons of each?

Accessibility ? what happens when one of the controllers goes bad? Can you still access all your media files before replacing the failed part?

Metadata ? what is the method of transferring metadata? Bundled with media via fiber channel? (1Beyond) or a separate copper network? Expense ? Advantages and disadvantages.

Will the SAN system allow the addition of more work stations and more SAN storage to expand with the growing workflow needs? Can the SAN be strung together in a multi-floor office structure, or do all the workstations need to be in a local area? (adjacent rooms on the same floor)

What will it take to have 2,3,4 or 7 systems digitizing and playing back from the same SAN in 4:4:4 at the same time? Can your system be scaled to handle it?

Disk Fragmentation ? what happens with the performance of a SAN with multiple workstations writing, consolidating and deleting over a 6 month to 1 year period? Will fragmentation slow the data rates? What is the solution to keep this from happening or to at least manage the drive space to avoid dropped frames in playback/recording?

I'd just like to start a dialog to help those of us out there who are planning on buying a SAN for HD soon.

Thanks.
Ben
Re: SAN solutions - Who's using what?
May 07, 2005 10:26AM
4:4:4 is tough even for direct access storage, never mind a SAN. On Xsan, you'd want at least 2 Xserve RAIDS just to get the speed needed for one client. I'd go an ask some questions over at the Creative Cow Xsan forum where actuall users can probably give you more advice, but it's not going to be cheap or easy whichever solution you go with.

Graeme

[www.nattress.com] - Plugins for FCP-X
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics