Tiger Tiger Burning Bright...

Posted by Greg Kozikowski 
Greg Kozikowski
Tiger Tiger Burning Bright...
May 08, 2005 09:03PM

With suitable appologies to Billy Blake.

We've heard all the horror tales of upgrading and getting Tiger to work with everything else. Somebody asked on Friday what would happen if they bought a new system with Tiger already on it and all the applications fresh and new.

Anybody have any experience with that (or did I miss one of the threads)? Feel free to point.

Koz
Re: Tiger Tiger Burning Bright...
May 08, 2005 09:52PM
My system (G4 MDD dual 1.25), which I installed Tiger on a fresh drive, works great with Motion FCP etc. . .

actually they all seem a bit faster/more responsive

David at Movies Rock in Toronto
[www.tofcpug.com]
Way to go, Dave... GOOD NEWS!

- Joey
May 09, 2005 02:13AM
ya well I wiped my origonal Jaguar drive (can't belive I still had that around) and installed Tiger fresh on that
I still need to keep Panther around as DIGI is taking 8-10 weeks to come out with an update for ProTools (even the DAE isn't working in Tiger)
BUT everything is running smooth on Tiger (cept for the Qmaster security warning but that is just clicking on fix later when I reboot which is only when I swap back and forth with Panther)

David at Movies Rock in Toronto
[www.tofcpug.com]
Greg Kozikowski
May 09, 2005 10:55AM

So the answer is no. Nobody bought a new machine with everything on it.

It is nice to know you can bulk erase your older machine and get good results, but my customer is a PC person shopping with a hot checkbook.

Koz
May 09, 2005 12:27PM
FWIW I always wipe the drive clean when bringing home a new Mac. Then install only the apps and parts of OS I want.

Follow Macintouch and macfixit. Tiger is looking to be a pretty stable dot 0 release compared to the past cats.

Michael Horton
-------------------
May 09, 2005 12:29PM
I already have Liger installed on my powerbook. I am running fcp 4.5 with the aja ioLA. No problems after I clean installed. (I had a few problems with iDVD after I upgraded, not clean installed)

My new 2.7 should be arriving today with Tiger preinstalled. After I get a chance to install all of my apps and do a few tests I will post back.
Paranoid as I am about my editing setup, I've been holding off on upgrading from Panther to Tiger, and also holding off on getting the FCP5 and QuickTime 7 upgrades. Has anybody already done the QuickTime 7 (with additional QuickTime Pro key needed) upgrade on their FCP4.5 system? Is it working OK? I remember a problem with a friend's new FCP4 system where it only worked with QuickTime 4 and not QuickTime 5, or something similar.
Greg Kozikowski
May 09, 2005 03:42PM

<<<Panther to Tiger, and also holding off on getting the FCP5 and QuickTime 7 upgrades. >>>

Is there an actual reason you want the upgrades? All our machines are clean, productive, and stable on software a couple of versions behind.

Koz
May 09, 2005 04:08PM
Spot light, Dash Board, Automater. These things are tres cool.

I'm betting FCP 5 will be very stable. If anything breaks it, it will be Tiger. YOu can run FCP 5 on 10.3.9

One will update to FCP 5 if you want to Multicam, multi channel audio, dynamic RT. These three new additions are worth the money to me.

I think Workgroup editing might prove valuable to your shop, Koz

Remains to be seen.

mike

Michael Horton
-------------------
Afraid to do production machine yet, but Tiger on G4 PB, 1.5gig, FCP 4.5 fine, all seems fine, after initial indexing.

Thoughts so far - i LOVE spotlight - but what is really it is is an amazing FIND feature, system wide. now FIND seems antiquated, slow, more for use within a page.
iSync took a step backwards. Overall feel is snappier, load times seem quicker, Mail got a paintjob, but still runs the same 4 cylinder under the hood.
Still can't back up Mail yet, so .Mac getting less likely to be part of my future.
supposed ot be able to search Boookmarks in safari - but havnt figured that out yet.

Dashboard - useless iCandy in my book. for example you use the Amazon on your desk feature - and every time you make a purchase through it - the developer gets paid too...I am happy to pay 5 bucks for his time, but he will be a millionare for a 50K widget. due to pressure he did offer to send you a string that disables this feature if you ask.
Havn't seen a widget yet that i want to pop into my frame all the time.

Havn't had a need for Automater yet, so no comment there.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics