Tiger Week One

Posted by Howard Shaw 
Tiger Week One
May 09, 2005 09:02PM
I did a simple upgrade from Panther with the disk, no backup was BRAVE... (hey I'm a grit your teeth PC guy, upgrade windows and close your eyes..) FCP 4.5 works fine capture and edit no prob, will advise on out put to tape. New mail app very streamlined, AVID XP has a problem, the only way out is to crash the app after a save, on quit you get the full on lockup beach ball. Tiger seems to prefer a shutdown instead of a restart after pulling the PB off it's block and going mobile. Lost my mouse and all my USB's (dongles) and aborted startup (grey screen) on two restarts. Powered down and all comes back. Otherwise, Safari seems to snap. Mail is good and less obtrusive, esoteric apps like blackberry plug in for calendar work fine. Will advise

cheers h
Re: Tiger Week One
May 09, 2005 10:09PM
Hey Howard

How long did it take for the first reboot while Tiger was indexing your HDs? I've heard people quote quite long times for ordinary drives, and I'm just wondering how that's going to affect people who have video-sized drives..

Does it index *all* your drives, or just the main HD? Could spotlight interfere with capture in the same way that journaling or virus apps can?
May 09, 2005 11:22PM
On the first reboot it took about 15 minutes to index all my drives

PB 17 80 gigs
2 lacies 500 gigs
2 maxtors 120 gigs

this it does in the background spotlight is unoperational while this is happening and it tells you how much longer it will need. There was a marginal performance hit while this was happening, otherwise it's unoticeable other than its an incredibly useful utility for clients for example, all you need is a keyword for every doc related to taht clients name eamil etc pretty cool
May 09, 2005 11:37PM
Pfft 15 minutes for all those drives is great. Thanks smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics