Book recommendation

Posted by Sheryl Mackie 
Book recommendation
May 11, 2005 03:17PM
I have made a film within which I have used music and film clips that I do not have rights to. The film is to be submitted to a film festival. Can anyone help me out with pertinent information regarding film and music rights? It would be nice to hear from someone who's been in the trenches with this. I've downloaded "Know Your (Copy)rights" and that has been a help.

If anyone can recommend a book that goes into this, I'd appreciate knowing the title.

Sheryl

Re: Book recommendation
May 11, 2005 03:30PM
check out [www.lafcpug.org]

it is a start

David at Movies Rock in Toronto
[www.tofcpug.com]
hd
May 12, 2005 04:27PM
you really need an entertainment law attorney to advise you. often if you have a local users group, union, ITVA or other organization, they can perhaps provide free or cheap advice. rights can be a minefield, and are kind of a prickly issue these days.

there are books available, but put them in the perspective that there are attorneys who spend their careers learning entertainment law and copyright, so a book may not be the final bit of info you need to keep you out of court.

dare i ask why you didn't get the clearances before cutting the project?

hd
May 12, 2005 05:42PM
The project wasn't intended to be put into festivals but things changed. If we could afford an attorney, we wouldn't be looking for a book.

There are no helpful groups near us as we don't live in a big city. I am getting a bit of information on other groups but it seems to be a hazy area.

Sheryl
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics